Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual Transmission Linkage

I have real trouble getting into reverse gear on my dual range 4MT. I've done the trick of replacing the linkage pin with a bolt, and that helped a little. I've also removed (hopefully temporarily) the dual range 4WD linkage to allow more room to try to whip it over to the right and get it into reverse. So now I can *usually* get it into reverse when I want to, for now, but I expect it to get worse over time. I've been working on it solo and I just visited my folks and had my dad work the gear shift while I looked at the linkage, and the "foot" of the linkage comes *way* out of the little receiver/cup it sits in. I'm thinking that might be part of the problem, that there should be something that should allow the shifter to move but not jump out of the cup like it does.

So, can anybody get me a picture or diagram of where the linkage sits in the little cup near the bottom of the transmission? Bonus points for answering the question of where something should be connecting it to the cup. I'm seriously considering getting out some bailing wire and figuring out a way to keep the linkage sitting in the cup but letting it move. Also bonus points for a part number or source for the rubber/metal washer/grommet between the linkage and cup. Mine is pretty beat up. And maybe a part number/source for the rubber inner gear shift boot, that's pretty beat up as well.

you need to adjust the shift linkadge  i had the same issue after installing my dual range also there is a rubber peice that it mounts to that likes to come apart and can cause alot of slop i used a bolt to fix the rubber part and never had a issue 

• 2 weeks later...

I found a diagram in the manual and on this year 4WD there is nothing to adjust. I think the transmission just has so much slop that the linkage base just pops out whenever I try to put it in reverse. So I guess it will have to wait until I can replace the transmission.

I think you’re talking about the bush that sits in the top of the gearbox at the base of the shifter/gear lever, correct? 

Look into the bush used at the base of the EJ series vehicles, earlier the better as I think they’re possibly smaller. Use this to shave down and fit into your shift lever’s bush space. 

Or make one with a 3D printer or some other creative method and material. 

It’s not worth pulling the gearbox out to swap because of this issue unless you’re doing a 5speed swap from the L series.

Make sure the piece that has the pin through the selector shaft is tight. If there’s any slop do the slot and bolt mod. 

Cheers 

Bennie

There's a tiny round nylon donut that snaps to the bottom of the pivot on the 4MT. That's certainly turned to powder. IDK if you can still buy them from Subaru or not. Might be able to 3D print one.....

The entire 4MT linkage was terrible and the design went away with the 5MT and besides the extra gear, lighter weight, greater strength, and lower low range of the 5MT, the significantly improved linkage is probably 50% of why I always did the swap. Just did one for a customer last week. He tracked down all the parts and brought me everything including the car. Jerry still makes the cross-member kits. We had all the usual 40 year old vehicle issues. I don't know what he was into the parts for on his end but it was around $2k for us to perform the swap for him. We did EVERYTHING including transferring the timing marks to the EA82 flywheel and all the wiring to make it work like stock. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Thanks 1

The Brat was originally an automatic, and I put in a manual transmission which turned out to be not great. It recently stuck in 3rd gear, I had another 4MT transmission because I was sure this day would come, and I just swapped it out. There is MUCH less slop now, and I can get it into reverse without trying too hard. I think the slop problem was mostly internal to the bad transmission. I do have a what's left of the doughnut at the bottom of the shifter, but there isn't much left. The bushings on the linkage are in surprisingly good shape, just a little warn and the nylons ones cracked. So long term I'll work on replacing the bushings and doughnut, but right now I'm just glad to be able to get it into reverse without having to sacrifice a goat or something. Longer term I do want to replace with a 5MT, but not while it is my primary transportation. Thanks for everybody's help.