Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm going to need to replace the engine on my '99 Legacy Outback wagon. Reading up on it, it looks like the '99 EJ25D factory hybrid one-off. Should I be looking to replace it with the same engine? What are my best options? I'm not looking to do any street racing. I want a reliable commuter car and to be able to make it into the mountains and back.

Edited by Todd Toddman

18 hours ago, Todd Toddman said:

I'm going to need to replace the engine on my '99 Legacy Outback wagon. Reading up on it, it looks like the '99 EJ25D factory hybrid one-off. Should I be looking to replace it with the same engine? What are my best options? I'm not looking to do any street racing. I want a reliable commuter car and to be able to make it into the mountains and back.

For all practical swap purposes it's interchangeable with all 1996-1998 EJ25's and 99 Legacy/Outback EJ25's.  

The better option for reliability. 

1995 Ej22 from an automatic is the best option for reliability and ease of swapping.  Plug and play, bolts right up. 

1996-1998 Ej22 is the same as the 1995 but you'll need an EJ22 exhaust manifold and to make sure it has EGR or work around the EGR.  It's very easy and a non-issue for anyone that knows these engines. 

On 1/24/2022 at 11:40 AM, idosubaru said:

For all practical swap purposes it's interchangeable with all 1996-1998 EJ25's and 99 Legacy/Outback EJ25's.  

The better option for reliability. 

1995 Ej22 from an automatic is the best option for reliability and ease of swapping.  Plug and play, bolts right up. 

1996-1998 Ej22 is the same as the 1995 but you'll need an EJ22 exhaust manifold and to make sure it has EGR or work around the EGR.  It's very easy and a non-issue for anyone that knows these engines. 

Are there companies you would recommend sourcing an EJ22 from? Or, would you recommend just trying to find one locally?

No one company has any lead on getting exceptional quality 25 year old wreck or rusted cars.  They all source from auctions and buy whatever is cheap and fits their business model approach. Some yards tend to have lots of Subarus. Sometimes that’s good and sometimes less good. The yard with the most Subarus around me is unequivocally the worst.

Locally is best in case you need the warranty. 

car-part.com is a database of all yards in the US.  

Id get one anywhere but many of us know our way around subarus.  I’d try to find one known running lower miles from a wreck so you know why it was junked.  

you may have to expand search because they’re old and getting less common.  

Any 95 auto from imp or legacy is ideal.

if you call a yard tell them 1995 legacy or Impreza.  Don’t tell them you’re swapping they’ll tell you it’s not possible bexuse that’s what they’re computer says.  Don’t waste your time. Ask for a 95 legacy or Impreza automatic. 

96 is great too but will require some hand holding to get the easiest one although neither is hard.