Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Information!!!

NYAP

So I have a 1997 Impreza outback sport that had a 2.2l in it. I swapped that for a 2.5l out of a 2000 outback and did my best to Frankenstein the harnesses together to get the engine to work. The research I had done previously said that an EJ22 ECU will run an EJ25. So I'm wondering if anyone can help me out if you have any information that may help. I did check and the engine seems to be getting fuel, air, and spark although I'm still unsure about the wiring on the IAC valve.

• 1 year later...

I've been out of the Subaru loop for a while, but I think I recall someone saying that the notches on the back of the cam sprocket that the cam position sensor reads has to be the same on the old and new engine. I think some engines have a double notch and some have one, so the ECU has to match in order to interpret the cam position signal correctly.

3 hours ago, porcupine73 said:

I've been out of the Subaru loop for a while, but I think I recall someone saying that the notches on the back of the cam sprocket that the cam position sensor reads has to be the same on the old and new engine. I think some engines have a double notch and some have one, so the ECU has to match in order to interpret the cam position signal correctly.

Good to see you beast!  Lots of your parts went to good use and I still have quite a few!

Yes cam and crank stay with the vehicle if you swap the engine  swap the original crank and cam sprockets onto the new engine. Done that’s it. 

The swap that person did is a mountain of headache though because the idle control differences aren’t easy to work around. The ghetto work around is to just prop the throttle plate open but that’s not a great soltiuon either. 

good to *see* you.

drove a friend to NH for grad school and passed by Albany and northern NY, beautiful.