Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Confirmation of 78' Brat Hi-Lo Transmission

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 4:29 AM, KiwiGL said:

Will be a single range 4 speed. Least desirable box of all. You want a box from an 85-89 GL wagon which will bolt straight into your loyale. The earlier 4 speed dual range from a Brat is longer and won't fit without a custom tailshaft

New guy, but this seems pertinent. Based on this statement will an 85-89 GL box retrofit into a Gen I Brat? Or will there still be a tailshaft mismatch?

On 5/6/2022 at 9:02 PM, nukeday said:

New guy, but this seems pertinent. Based on this statement will an 85-89 GL box retrofit into a Gen I Brat? Or will there still be a tailshaft mismatch?

I doubt that the GL box would swap into the Brat. Sounds like they have different tailshaft lengths and / or different engine bolt patterns.

On another note, if you're in Corvallis, so are we ;)

On 5/7/2022 at 4:02 PM, nukeday said:

The tailshaft from your loyale will work with a 5 speed box but will be too short for a 4 speed. The 5 speed dual range is bolt in for a loyale, just need the shifter.

Edited by KiwiGL

On 5/9/2022 at 10:14 AM, truebaru said:

I doubt that the GL box would swap into the Brat. Sounds like they have different tailshaft lengths and / or different engine bolt patterns.

On another note, if you're in Corvallis, so are we ;)

Hey, I saw that! See you at the OG :) Not in a Subaru though, I have a magically transformed '98 Mustang GT, I doubt you'll miss it, it has, uh, personality, lol...

On 5/10/2022 at 6:30 AM, KiwiGL said:

The tailshaft from your loyale will work with a 5 speed box but will be too short for a 4 speed. The 5 speed dual range is bolt in for a loyale, just need the shifter.

That's what we ended up doing - found a GL tranny in a scrapyard and bolted it into our loyale. Snorkel, lift, and skidplates incoming!

• Like 1