Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92' Loyale Parking Lights stuck on

First time posting, but have browsed the forum numerous times. I got a 1992 Loyale and - regardless of the parking light switch position - the parking lights stay on. I've tried to do research on it to no avail as everything points to checking that switch. I checked the under dash fuses and even pulled the parking switch off to check to no avail. Is there anything i'm missing or do I have a wiring mystery on my hands?

21 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

There’s a switch on top of the steering column, flick this off and it should turn the Parkers off. 

Cheers 

Bennie

That's my issue, it doesn't matter whether that rocker switch is flicked onto the off or on position on the column - they stay on regardless. I even pulled the switch rocker out and tried manually jumping the contacts to be sure.

1 hour ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

not sure about a '92, but some soobs have issues with the 1157 type bulbs(filaments sagging/shorting) OR those type of bulb sockets(corrosion). Maybe check those out?

Just pulled those to check albeit I don't have new bulbs until the morning - does seem to reduce load on that circuit. Am finding it is putting load onto the Hazard / Clock / Horn fuse and blowing it oddly enough when I open the trunk which triggers the ajar dash light. Just watched the front Markers pulse / get dimmer with the motor running before turning off though with the rear bulbs removed and a new fuse. I definitely got something screwy in the circuit here. Thanks for the tip!

7 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

I wouldn't rule-out an issue with the harness going from the body to the hatch. shorting out or ???

Funny you say that - put one bulb back in first thing this morning and that exact pigtail nearly started an electrical fire - issue found! Just lucky I was back there doing that versus driving!

20220206_193204.jpg.73c9f7f2743fce1d8b88e8d3bf9b07af.jpg

20220206_193153.jpg.a5b5e43081cfb194782103c9cd3c59b9.jpg

Needless to say I had to cut power and cut the self -shorting pigtail after I snuffed it. Got too cooked though to know which wires were going to which to re-wire easy though - is there any online diagrams available or does anyone have a picture from there own car of that rear passenger connection? 

Edited by Sjoubert928
Added pictures for detail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Holy cow you’re in Lee Mass. ? 

Cool to see other New England classics. That being the case I’d also begin to investigate other electrical areas like the power window relay under the drivers seat. And maybe there’s something on the floor of the passenger side too ? 

Having owned enough of those here in CT I can tell you those are notorious for corrosion. 

Good luck with it. Enjoy ! 

10 hours ago, moosens said:

Holy cow you’re in Lee Mass. ? 

Cool to see other New England classics. That being the case I’d also begin to investigate other electrical areas like the power window relay under the drivers seat. And maybe there’s something on the floor of the passenger side too ? 

Having owned enough of those here in CT I can tell you those are notorious for corrosion. 

Good luck with it. Enjoy ! 

Yep, although the wagon is originally from Essex County on the coast. Old lady garaged it and used it for bread and milk so I got it at 66K on the odometer last August. Not too bad as a result in terms of rust and corrosion but i'll definitely check those after dealing with this!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveT said:

I'm in CT.   I have an 87 and a 93, almost the same as far as this stuff.   I can't tell where that picture is - up under the dash, down near the feet?

This is behind the passenger tail light assembly - it's the pigtail that connects the main harness to the hatch for the wiper motor, plate lights, defroster etc

On 2/8/2022 at 10:11 AM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

ah, I think you really need to inspect for rodent damage as well.

On my list after this - havn't found much in that regard working under the hood and around the car but that means nothing for under the carpets and panels.

• Like 1