Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71/EA81 carburetor base

I have an ea81 hitachi carburetor that has been rebuilt but has considerable play in the throttle shaft. Runs good but idle is all over the place 800-1200. Carb spray at the shaft smooths it out.  I found a barely used ea71 carburetor with zero play in the throttle shaft but it seems a hassle to use this carburetor but I’m wondering if I can just use the base off the 71 on my carburetor? Thanks 

Got me thinking it’s possible. 

You can search online for the factory parts manuals and take note of the base from say a 1977-78 and then match it to the 1800. I’d say be sure to do a visual match and ignore the part number difference if that’s the case. 

This is for Service manuals but maybe you can locate Parts somewhere. I could be wrong and maybe it’s just the Service manuals that are online. But I could swear someone recently pointed out that Parts catalogs are also out there for viewing. 

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

Edited by moosens
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been looking at service manuals and parts catalogs they all look the same but can’t tell if there is internal differences. Mine has vacuum control for the secondary and this one has a manual (which I prefer) but I want to make sure that it will work before I buy it. Thanks 

Once upon a time you could find a kit for that throttle shaft. 
Have to talk with mechanics from the 80’s who were working on these cars. 

Not sure but I’m guessing this was a Hitachi issued retro type kit and not something on the market. I’ve never seen the actual kit so likely it was to dealers only. 

With today’s technology I’m sure you can be creative and make your own solution. 

Going forward we are going to see more and more of these situations. I’m not totally opposed to the Weber but I have a hard time throwing in the towel in something that worked well enough which could likely be repaired. Maybe you’re that same type ? Good luck. Please report back. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, moosens said:

Once upon a time you could find a kit for that throttle shaft. 
Have to talk with mechanics from the 80’s who were working on these cars. 

Not sure but I’m guessing this was a Hitachi issued retro type kit and not something on the market. I’ve never seen the actual kit so likely it was to dealers only. 

With today’s technology I’m sure you can be creative and make your own solution. 

Going forward we are going to see more and more of these situations. I’m not totally opposed to the Weber but I have a hard time throwing in the towel in something that worked well enough which could likely be repaired. Maybe you’re that same type ? Good luck. Please report back. 

I’m definitely of that mind set.