Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ER27 Timing

Looking for help on a timing issue for an Er27 motor. I had to replace the timing belts and now the engine won’t crank. The motor is on an airboat and there are no timing marks on the flywheel and not sure what to do. The can sprockets have the timing marks, as do the covers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the engine won’t crank it sounds like a starter issue. 

Check that you can rotate the engine by hand to ensure it’s able to rotate freely. Then look into the cranking issue. 

If you mean that it won’t fire up, that’s another ball game altogether. 

When doing the timing, assuming it’s the same as the EA82, did you align and fit the first belt then rotate the crank one turn and fit the second belt? 

Cheers 

Bennie

6 hours ago, Devans850 said:

Looking for help on a timing issue for an Er27 motor. I had to replace the timing belts and now the engine won’t crank. The motor is on an airboat and there are no timing marks on the flywheel and not sure what to do. The can sprockets have the timing marks, as do the covers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Install belts with crank shaft sprocket mark at 12 oclock.  Passengers side cam marking at 6 oclock, drivers side at 12 oclock.
Install belt and make sure the marks are still *exactly* at 6 and 12.  They may move a tooth off during the belt install process - if so, try again.

Rotate the engine and look at the rear crank sprocket up against the engine block, not the front sprocket. 

Maybe I'm recalling incorrectly it's been a couple years since I did one (but I've done XT6 timing belts somewhere around 25-50 times)

Edited by idosubaru

I don't know the er specifically, but all of the timing belt Subaru engines I know have. 3 vertical lines on the flywheel for the timing position.   They are viewed through a small opening at the top center of the bell housing.   There should be an odd shaped rubber plug covering the hole.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:30 AM, Devans850 said:

there are no timing marks on the flywheel and not sure what to do.

There should be 3 hash marks on the flywheel, look again for those.

That's the standard way to do XT6 timing set up and how it's documented in the FSM. They probably don't have timing marks on the crank sprocket like i was suggesting, I've always used the flywheel/flexplate. I just thought you might get lucky.

Your other options, which aren't well documented, would be to use crank sprocket keyway or holes as an ad hoc/make-shift way of getting mechanical timing right.

You'd probably have to rely on getting a picture of sprocket/keyway orientation when flywheel marks are lined up and recreating that orientation on yours. You might need to do a best guess due to picture angle and width of the keyway and it's lack of clear marks to line up with but you should be able to get it in 1-4 tries. 

Then mark it for future use. 

21 hours ago, DaveT said:

I don't know the er specifically, but all of the timing belt Subaru engines I know have. 3 vertical lines on the flywheel for the timing position.   They are viewed through a small opening at the top center of the bell housing.   There should be an odd shaped rubber plug covering the hole.

XT6 ER27 is the same. 

Edited by idosubaru

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so this is where I’m at. The flywheel is not the original flywheel and has no marks on it at all, because it was replaced for a prop hub. The only timing marks to be found are on the camshaft sprockets themselves. Is it possible to set the timing from TDC? I know there has to be a way to set the timing without the flywheel marks on this motor, but I haven’t figit out yet.