Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Headlight improvements?

hello all,

I want to do something about my headlights. they have all the luminosity of a dying camping flashlight. night driving is a joke.

I'd like to get something substantially brighter than the stock lights preferably not LED's. 

parts numbers and links welcome. 

thanks

I too don’t like the LED fad that’s going on and the blinking of a fellow driver that they manage to pull off. 

This is what I’m going to be getting of my brumby with the quad lights. This is the outer hi/low beam globe: 

https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/ZPN-45796_?noseo=true&c=AU&gclid=CjwKCAiA3L6PBhBvEiwAINlJ9EXBryIsRHv8_jdPNHzmuaJT4ptGIVK_H8Fq0dzXs6u_n3tDuDNZShoCuSwQAvD_BwE 

That’s an Aussie site, you might be able to find one out your way that sells something similar. 

For me, this setup allows me to choose what globes I want to be using, and running a set of secondary relays triggered by the factory system should have the most voltage possible at the lights. 

High beam isn’t an issue for me, the single high headlights work really well in my brumby and I’ve got a decent set of IPF driving lights to go with them: 

uJ63sn.jpg

That said, the high beam factory lights will be phased out for a replaceable globe H1 arrangement. The glass of the light will look different from factory but it’ll look way better than the LED units IMO. I’d like a set of spot lights/landing lights where the filament is directly exposed forward, but this isn’t allowed on our roads for any of our forward facing lights and I can’t find any units anyway. This is the sort of thing I’ll be looking into, dunno about spending that sort of coin though: 

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/narva-72022?utm_term=NARVA-72022&gclid=CjwKCAiA3L6PBhBvEiwAINlJ9MlikwNu4D02X_GQYN_UUYNrsdEWU40kJduBvY-ECx5J2-0IYeDzKhoCBFgQAvD_BwE 

Cheers 

Bennie

Depending on how old your bulbs are, it may be enough to just replace the bulbs.

You didn’t tell us what your budget is, or what year Brat you have so offering part numbers is tough.   try rock auto, they have a few options.

Edited by Sasse

I'd never heard of heated LEDs before and that was my issue with them because I live in a very snowy icy place. Budget doesn't really matter, i'm okay paying premium for something that'll keep me safe. 1986 second gen.

lovely brumby Bennie and thanks for the tip. I do like the idea of semi sealed but those JW Speakers look wicked

• Like 1

Down Under, we have a supplier who had LED lights made to comply with our fairly rigid Aust Design Regulations so they are under 2000 Lumen? I think on low beam.

Ultraflex 4x4 is his busines name and sells them on ebay dot com dot au

They are so darned good, I installed a set in my Vortex as driving it with what it was born with was like one of those stupid dreams I get where I have trouble seeing very much as at all - just two round , yellow beams on the road in front. The difference is usually documented everywhere you might look on the internet. They light up almost everything in the 180 degrees in front of you, picking out eyes of wild life, reflectors on utility service points way off the road . Then you go around comparing the quality of your light versus others on the road. Hard to match !