Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding cruise control to 1998 Impreza OBS?

pontoontodd

I am wondering how difficult it would be to add cruise control to a 1998 Impreza Outback Sport (5MT if it matters).  Couldn't find this discussed anywhere.

I have another Impreza that I think has all the parts I'd need to swap over - steering wheel, main button, module under hood, module under dash.  So I guess my main question is, would a car without cruise have all the wiring and connectors in place?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here's what I did - and the link with pics: https://www.rs25.com/threads/1998-2-2l-questions.185798/page-2#post-2968169

Installed on '96 Impreza LX w/an AT trans.

Get the following parts:
1. Cruise control module - must match your trans -AT or MT (they are labeled on the module) - the PLUG/connector IS ALREADY THERE and is taped up under the dash just above your left foot. I mounted it to a spot under the dash w/zip ties.
2. Dash CRUISE switch - the PLUG/connector IS ALREADY THERE - just remove the 4 screws on the console piece around the gauges, pop-off the 'blank', plug in the wiring connector and insert the new switch.
3. Brake switch - the cruise brake switch is PLUG/connector IS ALREADY THERE taped just above the brake pedal- just swap switches - Note the threads/adjustment of the existing switch to match the new one...or your brake lights may not work or cruise may not easily disengage.
4. Actuator/Vacuum hose/T-connector/Brackets - under hood connects to throttle cable. PLUG/connector IS ALREADY THERE taped to the harness near the passenger side strut tower. It mounts in the stock location- the Forester brackets worked on my Impreza, too. Use the T-connector to splice into your vac lines on the intake manifold.
5. Steering wheel switch/lever (there is no need to remove the steering wheel!) - 2 star screws to remove to get the airbag off (read up on here about what to do to not set it off - I just removed the Neg battery cable, pumped the brakes a few times), remove the right side of the spring loaded horn actuator, pop-out the blank for the switch to pass thru on the steering wheel, swap the wiring for the switch - uses the same connectors - no splicing necessary, put it back together....

I got all my parts from a '98 Forester and they worked EXCEPT for 2 issues:
1. The cable from the actuator was too short, but it'll still work.
2. The steering wheel switch doesn't work for the Resume or Cancel features, but everything else works. I may try swapping in an 'age-appropriate' Impreza module to see if that fixes it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 4:15 AM, wtdash said:

Here's what I did - and the link with pics: https://www.rs25.com/threads/1998-2-2l-questions.185798/page-2#post-2968169

Installed on '96 Impreza LX w/an AT trans.

Get the following parts:
1. Cruise control module - must match your trans -AT or MT (they are labeled on the module) - the PLUG/connector IS ALREADY THERE and is taped up under the dash just above your left foot. I mounted it to a spot under the dash w/zip ties.
2. Dash CRUISE switch - the PLUG/connector IS ALREADY THERE - just remove the 4 screws on the console piece around the gauges, pop-off the 'blank', plug in the wiring connector and insert the new switch.
3. Brake switch - the cruise brake switch is PLUG/connector IS ALREADY THERE taped just above the brake pedal- just swap switches - Note the threads/adjustment of the existing switch to match the new one...or your brake lights may not work or cruise may not easily disengage.
4. Actuator/Vacuum hose/T-connector/Brackets - under hood connects to throttle cable. PLUG/connector IS ALREADY THERE taped to the harness near the passenger side strut tower. It mounts in the stock location- the Forester brackets worked on my Impreza, too. Use the T-connector to splice into your vac lines on the intake manifold.
5. Steering wheel switch/lever (there is no need to remove the steering wheel!) - 2 star screws to remove to get the airbag off (read up on here about what to do to not set it off - I just removed the Neg battery cable, pumped the brakes a few times), remove the right side of the spring loaded horn actuator, pop-out the blank for the switch to pass thru on the steering wheel, swap the wiring for the switch - uses the same connectors - no splicing necessary, put it back together....

I got all my parts from a '98 Forester and they worked EXCEPT for 2 issues:
1. The cable from the actuator was too short, but it'll still work.
2. The steering wheel switch doesn't work for the Resume or Cancel features, but everything else works. I may try swapping in an 'age-appropriate' Impreza module to see if that fixes it.

I'll pass this on to my cousin for his new Impreza LX project. The previous owner wasn't able to finish the project due to work but it is neat with a new set of tires from 4Wheelonline installed last month.

Edited by Grennick