Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Subaru loyale Alternator is getting hot

I have a couple questions about my 1992 Subaru loyale I just put a alternator on it yesterday drove it around for like 5 minutes and notices the smell of burning plastic turns out the alternator was really hot along with the wire closest to the strut tower in the box right next to the strut tower I am confused and not sure how to approach this. If anyone has any help please let me know!

59 minutes ago, Issac said:

I have a couple questions about my 1992 Subaru loyale I just put a alternator on it yesterday drove it around for like 5 minutes and notices the smell of burning plastic turns out the alternator was really hot along with the wire closest to the strut tower in the box right next to the strut tower I am confused and not sure how to approach this. If anyone has any help please let me know!

Check the voltage at the alternator and at the battery. Alternator could be going bad and have too much voltage, and dumping all that power into the battery.

Some tests need to be done.

- of volt meter on battery negative post.

+ of volt meter on + battery post - off, and running at Idle, and 1500RPM +/-.

+ of meter on the big terminal at the back of the alternator, running at Idle, and 1500RPM +/-.

Another handy one- voltmeter one lead on + battery, other on the alternator big terminal.

Need to determine what is going on. 

14V running isn't too far out of normal. 

The difference in voltage at the battery term vs alt term gives an indication of how much current is flowing.

At idle, the stock alternator does not put out it's full rated amps, since the RPM is too low.

• Like 1