Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Make an EA82 carb motor run like it's not a carb motor?

I got an 86? (haven't even made sure yet) Wagon for free a few months ago. Some guy saw my Loyal and stoped to see if I wanted one for a parts car. So I went to pick it up and the thing is in to good a shape for a parts car, (No cancer) The ONLY thing it needed was a clutch, so I tossed a clutch disk in it and am going to drive it for a few weeks wile I do heads gaskets and stuff on my Loyal. The only thing that sucks is that it's a carb motor, :( In other words you need to keep it running when it's cold and it always has a dead spot off idel.

Short of tossing in an EJ22 whats the best way to straiten these things out?

BTW: It will be for sale for like $750 as soon as I get my car done.;)

Jesse,my '86 ran the best with next to no emmisions crap on it and all hoses checked,and either removed or blocked up.....all of a sudden I had no flat spot and power like a muthuh.....and then I sent it to the crusher just to "move on"....wish I had at least donated it but at the time nobody I knew close enough wanted it.

But of course if you want to sell it you'd better keep all that crap on there and try a good cleaning,maybe a rebuild on that carby.

Well I havn't even driven it down the road yet. Plan to take it home tommorrow, we'll see how it does. If it's not too bad I'll just live with it. If I sell it in CT. no emissions, if I sell in RI. no title (good becouse I don't have one);)

What you are talking about is not a symptom of a carbureted car, it is a symptom of a car out of tune.

A carbed car should run just as well as a fuelie car in 98% of conditions. A properly set up carb will be drivable on cold starts without bogging or hesitation, and should never have issues with not idling or hesitations off of idle.

The 2% basically comes down to not running quite as well when the choke is on as a fuelie car, and extreme temperatures and altitudes that are VERY different from the conditions in which the carb was set up for.

I run my carbed subaru in -20* winter starts, and it needs about 5 seconds to warm up before I stick it in gear. I've bumped it up to the top of 14,000 foor mountains, and still no drivability issues, aside from a more wobbly idle (which could be the lack of air anyways).

So, with that said, I would check your vacuum lines, your ignition system, and then seriously look at a carb rebuild to get it up to snuff.

Well I took it home tonight for it's maiden voyage and I gotta say it acctually runs pretty damn good. I guess if you give it 5mins to warm up it's ready to go, it cruises around (slowley) really well and when you hammer down and pop the secondaries it gets moving right along, nothing like the EJ22T in my Loyal but alright.:) I just have to find a few exaust leaks and this thing will make someone a good little runner. I'm just hoping to get stupid good gas mileage wile I'm driving it.

Well I took it home tonight for it's maiden voyage and I gotta say it acctually runs pretty damn good. I guess if you give it 5mins to warm up it's ready to go, it cruises around (slowley) really well and when you hammer down and pop the secondaries it gets moving right along, nothing like the EJ22T in my Loyal but alright.:) I just have to find a few exaust leaks and this thing will make someone a good little runner. I'm just hoping to get stupid good gas mileage wile I'm driving it.

Adjust your choke.