Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 gl wagon 4x4 no acceleration power high oil pressure

Hey everyone so I Bought a 1985 GL wagon and drove it home at about 55 mph now vehicle does not wanna accelerate past 35 sometimes 15 high oil pressure what could it be any help is appreciated thank you

Edited by Ladyofdoom
Spelling correction

I’d say the catalytic converter is breaking down. Won’t have much to do with high oil pressure. 

Can you get it up to a certain rev “limit” through beach gear with about the same amount of load on the engine? If so, collapsed cat converter is my bet!

Cheers 

Bennie

On 3/9/2022 at 7:07 PM, DaveT said:

Need more info...

Was it run and driven often?  Was it sitting for years?  Carburetor? 

I’m not to sure of that but it only has 90000 miles and is still all original and in great condition and it had current registration so 

1985 would be carburettor in any world except turbo and XT ? 90,000 is very low, suggests not driven much somewhere in it's life time. Anything else you have done and not told us, like the cat gutting ? So many things to cast a wand over, such as fuel quality, age, volume.  Just replacing fuel filter(s) can resolve issues, so too a fuel cleaner. How is air filter ? If it is copping oil and water mix from blown HG and or blow by, it may not flow well. I always say to start with a compression test and come back with those findings