Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 BRAT engine swap

I have an ‘85 BRAT with 4sp tranny. I think I'm ready to make this an amazing project in my back barn. 
The small engine just doesn't put out enough power for me to have fun with. I’m thinking it  needs an engine swap with something fuel injected with a little more power. 
I’ve done engine swaps before, but never a classic like this one. And this is my first suburu. 
I would like AC, but i am not married to it. And i wont be doing and crazy off-roding. Just simple trails. I’m even thinking of considering an electric motor…

MY biggest obstacle right is deciding which path to take on this swap. After its decided… its full force forward! No sandbagging today gentleman.

thanks for your input in advance

79C7E374-ACE2-4CF8-9ED4-31D672053670.jpeg

Edited by NikoS
Add pictures

The reason it feels "slow" could be the giant wheels and tires you are spinning with the stock engine.

Try something closer to the stock size and you will see acceleration increase.

You said yourself you won't be doing any crazy wheeling...

This is the easiest solution I see.

Best of luck

• Like 2

If going anything other than the EA81 a gearbox upgrade would be a good idea - an EA82 pt4wd 5speed gearbox is a good upgrade for a modern feeling gearbox, no tractor spec there. 

With more work an EJ AWD gearbox can be fitted and a forester box could be good for those larger tyres ;) 

Electric conversions have been done with decent results, have a look on YouTube, a bloke in Australia converted his brumby to electric and is road legal. He has a range of about 150kms/90ish miles on one charge. 

From what I understand of these conversions there are many out there, you can do direct drive or retain the factory gearbox, can DIY, pay someone to do it, or buy a kit and DIY that way. 

The important bit is to have an electric conversion road legal with your local authorities.

Cheers 

Bennie