Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Location of Ignition Relay in a 2001 Forester

My 2001 Forester stopped running during a warmup on a cold day and  never started again about one year ago. After lots of attempts to put in new parts to no avail, came to find out the culprit had to be the ignition relay, which I did not know existed until recently. Bought the relay online but do  not know exactly where it is. I know it is not in the relay/fuse box under the hood nor close to the fuse box next to the steering column. Had looked under the dash but could not find it. Please help.

Here is some info from the Factory Service Manual for a 2002 Forester (one year later than yours, but may be a similar setup):

- Page WI18 Power Supply Routing: on right-side of page is the IGNITION RELAY, which has a 4-pole connector B157

- Page WI119 Bulkhead Wiring Harness (In Compartment): Connector B157 is listed as the IGNITION RELAY 4-pole Red in Zone C-1

- Page WI120 Bulkhead Wiring Harness (In Compartment): Zone C-1 is the location for Connector R157 (misprint for B157?). This view is looking at the main instrument-panel through the open left-side car-door, It appears that the Ignition Relay and the Red connector B157 are way to the left of the steering wheel, and up high, perhaps behind the fuse box.

WI14 Power Supply Routing.pdf WI119 Bulkhead Wiring Harness in Compartment.pdf

Understand it is next to the starter relay. Could not see either one the last time I looked underneath the dash until getting dizzy.

BTW, are all relays in this car the same and interchangeable since they all have the same configuration.   Are we all sure this car has an ignition relay somewhere in the car?? Able to buy one online though.      

yes, it has the relays, and they are located way up high on the left side.. directly above the fuse panel. Not easily visible thru wiring & dash structure, but they are there.

there is a lower dash panel that can be removed under the steering.. take that off to gain better access and have a small flashlight handy.

there are a couple of relays up there, make sure you are replacing the correct one.. connector (plug) color is the key.

it is kinda awkward to get at, and chances are very high you will get scraped or scratched in the process, but this is 100% do-able for pretty much anyone willing to put in the effort

• 3 weeks later...

Is the ignition relay a simple plug in like the 7 relays found in the  combination relay/fuse box in the engine compartment or is it under an electrical connector with wire attachment?  There are two such items side by side and one of them is like blue and white, which could be the starter relay.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all who tried to help. With  the aid of buying and  receiving the main or ignition relay, finally able to find and replace it. Elated that sparks have returned but still no start with cranking. After being left alone for a long time, like a day, at first start, the engine would try to turn over but could not. Subsequently, cranking produced nothing. This has been the case since engine quitting during idling in 12-20. Seems to me that the only culprit left is timing belt jumped several teeth during idling which I find hard to believe. Any ideas before checking out the timing belt. Parts replaced so far starting from the latest are spark plugs, main or ignition relay, crank sensor, cam sensor and ignition module. Thanks so much.

Turn it over by hand.  22mm nut on the fromt of the crank. 

The side timing covers can come of pretty easy.  The center section is a bit of work, but you can pull the crank sensor and see the mark on the tooth.

Have you replaced the starter or starter contacts?

• Like 1

easiest thing to do would be to pull the drivers side timing cover off to check the belt - you should be able to accomplish this without needing to remove anything else...
if the belt looks ok visually, get a helper to try turning it over.. if the cam does not move, the belt is broken.  sometimes it is very obvious a belt is broken, sometimes not.

a bad tensioner can actually allow the belt to jump time... not a common thing to happen during idling, but not impossible, either.

On 5/8/2022 at 7:16 PM, lmdew said:

Have you replaced the starter or starter contacts?

why would you even suggest this? there is no issue with it cranking over from what i am seeing.. it just is not firing off.