Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant leak

1990 Loyale/Manuel 

After running the engine for a little while, coolant steam seems to rise from the center of the engine, around the throttle body and under where the air intake clamps on. Any idea where this is coming from? I didn't think there was coolant connections right there. 

It doesn't overheat. Or at least the gauge says it's not overheating and it has no symptoms of definite overheating. Although one time, after driving on the highway for about 15 minutes, I got out and saw some dried fluid on the side of the car, like it came from the overflow reservoir. 

Any words of wisdom guys before I knuckle into this?

yeah check the hose that comes out of the top of the water pump and makes a 90 degree bend under the intake.  Its a very short hose but can leak and you find coolant along the top of the motor when it does.  You can get a molded replacement pretty cheap.

Edited by Scoby4wd

Yes, I see that coolant line from the thermo and dissappearing under the intake behind the p/s pump. And there is coolant on the block. I bet that's the source, or that gasket under the throttle body. I will investigate when I get off work tonight and post my findings.