Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1980 BRAT DL Fuel Pump Issue

Hi Everyone! I just purchased a 1980 BRAT DL that was sitting for over 10 years. I plan to get it running and drive it out of its grave to my friends house a few miles away. 

I had it idling off the jerry can and it was running really well. I planned to connect the tank back up to the pump and install a clear filter before it to watch the quality of fuel. At this point the pump must've stopped working. Nothing was coming through the line and I tried testing it on the jerry can again and it was not squirting out the outlet. 

I found a nipple on the back of the pump that had a clear tube which was cut off. I assumed it was maybe a vent tube but could it actually be a return line? I am wondering if this somehow ran the pump dry and made it get hot. 

If anyone has a diagram of the fuel system for the ea71 that would really help. Thanks! I'm really excited to be part of the subaru community!

That’s just a breather tube , don’t mess with it.

1980 would be first generation so you’d actually want to be over in the Historic forum but no big deal here. 

Those first gen vehicles run the fuel pump from the alternator and voltage regulator signal. Best to have a known good VR and of course a good alternator too. More than likely your pump is fine. 

If you feel it’s nasty inside you can reverse polarity on the pump for a second or two and flush it out. It’s old school and some folks here may not agree but we’ve done this often and no bad results. Only do that if the pump is really tossing crap out. Otherwise use a filter like you said. 

Find the manuals online. Some folks can direct you more easily but in general I think the Cars101 thing has them. Here’s another.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

They recommend changing the alternator and VR at the same time but you might not need them both. Keep in mind you’re going to deal with aftermarket crap for alternators going forward. 

Some of us went hardcore on these and have some stockpiles. But in general obviously going to be tough to find good parts for going forward. Good luck with it.

6 hours ago, moosens said:

That’s just a breather tube , don’t mess with it.

1980 would be first generation so you’d actually want to be over in the Historic forum but no big deal here. 

Those first gen vehicles run the fuel pump from the alternator and voltage regulator signal. Best to have a known good VR and of course a good alternator too. More than likely your pump is fine. 

If you feel it’s nasty inside you can reverse polarity on the pump for a second or two and flush it out. It’s old school and some folks here may not agree but we’ve done this often and no bad results. Only do that if the pump is really tossing crap out. Otherwise use a filter like you said. 

Find the manuals online. Some folks can direct you more easily but in general I think the Cars101 thing has them. Here’s another.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

They recommend changing the alternator and VR at the same time but you might not need them both. Keep in mind you’re going to deal with aftermarket crap for alternators going forward. 

Some of us went hardcore on these and have some stockpiles. But in general obviously going to be tough to find good parts for going forward. Good luck with it.

Thank you! I assumed 1980 was i the 80s forum but I guess that makes sense haha.

I haven't checked the alternator and voltage regulator yet. Is the voltage regulator the thing that positive wire on the pump connects to near the coil? 

Is there a way to Hotwire the pump and make sure the pump isn’t actually broken? 

Yes , you can and indeed should jumper wire straight from the battery. 

And again , if you take the pump off and use a coffee can with a little petrol you can reverse flush that old school pump. Just for a couple seconds. 

Any pump around 3psi should work. But I wouldn’t count your original out just yet.