Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My engine blew on my 2002 Subaru Legacy GT LIMITED, non turbo.

Hey guys my names Jonathan, my engine blew in my 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, 2.5L non turbocharged, with a 6th digit VIN. I’m online lookin for motors and came across a 2005 2.5L, but it’s a DOHC and has a turbo as well. Would this be possible to put that in ?and if so how much wiring would I have to be re doing?…… or if it’s a bad idea all in general let me know as well. Thank you 

3 hours ago, JonW989 said:

Hey guys my names Jonathan, my engine blew in my 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, 2.5L non turbocharged, with a 6th digit VIN. I’m online lookin for motors and came across a 2005 2.5L, but it’s a DOHC and has a turbo as well. Would this be possible to put that in ?and if so how much wiring would I have to be re doing?…… or if it’s a bad idea all in general let me know as well. Thank you 

What do you mean by "my engine blew"? That could describe a lot of issues...some of which could be fixed more easily or more cheaply than installing a new motor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonW989 said:

It’s worth a shot, thank you

Another way to help diagnose the possible issue is to see what happens when the car warms up...how loud is the noise? Does it get worse, stay the same or get quieter if you gently rev the engine. If you barely poke the throttle at idle, does it cause the rhythm of the knocking to change? and how does it change? etc. If you hold the engine at 2000 RPM in neutral/park is it quieter than at idle, the same or louder? Is it an auto trans? if so, what happens if you put the brake on and put the transmission in drive or reverse; without touching the throttle? Does this quiet the noise? or is it the same? Louder?

Edited by laegion

19 minutes ago, JonW989 said:

When I rev it the knocking increases, and when I went to drive it, it just stalls. 

Failed and/or aftermarket timing belt tensioner

1. Install all new Subaru timing belt, tensioner, and lower cogged idler. Or just get an entire AISIN timing kit (OEM parts).

Or, if you're unlucky and the valves were bent: 

2. Install used heads if the valves are bent. No need for a valve job, just resurface the heads and install with Subaru gaskets.

If the engine does happen to be toast - I wouldn't get that turbo for a variety of reasons.  The install would be insanely complicated, best facillated with an aftermarket controller due to the cross generational aspect...and the unknown history and risk of a 15 year old turbo engine leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1