Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat - All dashboard lights on, car nearly dies while driving.

Hey everybody,

First off, I know I've been posting quite a bit of new topics recently so I hope it's not coming off as a spam problem. I'm just trying to narrow down all of the issues that I am having with my Brat so I can get most of it done it time for summer. 

So for the past couple of months, all of the warning lights on the dashboard (parking brake, battery, etc.) have stayed on while driving. However, whenever they are on, they stay dimly lit and look as though they are flickering. When I looked up what could be the problem, I found that a bad alternator may be the culprit. When I went to do an alternator test though, I found that the battery was holding proper voltage while the car was both on and off, so I eliminated the alternator as being a potential problem. The other day while I was taking it for a spin, all of the dash lights suddenly came on very brightly, and it felt as though that the car was about to die. Soon afterwards though, the lights went back to just dim flickering and the car remained running. 

I'm afraid to take the car out again if it's just going to die on me soon, so I'd like to solve the problem before it leaves me stranded. What do you guys think could be the problem? Ignition coil/module? Looking for suggestions.

I should also note that the car has trouble with cold starts and that it may possibly be related to the issue. 

Thank you!

G’day SaltyMike, 

Those warning lights is an alternator issue. Measuring voltage with engine on or off won’t tell you much other than the health of the battery. 

The alternator might still provide charge to the battery but it will most likely completely die at some point. 

Other think to check is the health of your fusible links - one could possibly be just hanging in there. 

I’d be looking into an alternator upgrade. There’s the Nissan Maxima conversion detailed several times over on the forum here. I adapted an EJ square plug alternator to my Brumby/Brat and it’s working well. My EA81 has AC so the alternator sits more to the left than the non AC setups.

To convert the EJ alternator, use the pulley off your old alternator, make an 8mm collar/spacer to alight the pulley correctly on the alternator, shave the front of the alternator housing until the pulley is clear/free to spin and it’ll bolt in from there. 

The only downer is that the main charge terminal points downwards towards the spark plug. It doesn’t touch anything though. Apparently there are alternators of the same design and hangers as the EJ alternators with the charge terminal on the opposite side of the alternator.

Wiring will need to be upgraded for the extra amperage, don’t be tempted to use the standard wiring as that could be a recipe for disaster! 

Cold starts will probably be a carb issue. I find a double pump on the throttle before cranking gets my EA81 fired up in several cranks every time. If you have an auto choke that needs to be calibrated for your conditions too. Don’t ask me how to do that, it’s like a dark art getting those sorted! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

G’day SaltyMike, 

Those warning lights is an alternator issue. Measuring voltage with engine on or off won’t tell you much other than the health of the battery. 

The alternator might still provide charge to the battery but it will most likely completely die at some point. 

Other think to check is the health of your fusible links - one could possibly be just hanging in there. 

I’d be looking into an alternator upgrade. There’s the Nissan Maxima conversion detailed several times over on the forum here. I adapted an EJ square plug alternator to my Brumby/Brat and it’s working well. My EA81 has AC so the alternator sits more to the left than the non AC setups.

To convert the EJ alternator, use the pulley off your old alternator, make an 8mm collar/spacer to alight the pulley correctly on the alternator, shave the front of the alternator housing until the pulley is clear/free to spin and it’ll bolt in from there. 

The only downer is that the main charge terminal points downwards towards the spark plug. It doesn’t touch anything though. Apparently there are alternators of the same design and hangers as the EJ alternators with the charge terminal on the opposite side of the alternator.

Wiring will need to be upgraded for the extra amperage, don’t be tempted to use the standard wiring as that could be a recipe for disaster! 

Cold starts will probably be a carb issue. I find a double pump on the throttle before cranking gets my EA81 fired up in several cranks every time. If you have an auto choke that needs to be calibrated for your conditions too. Don’t ask me how to do that, it’s like a dark art getting those sorted! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thank you so much Bennie! Lots of great information here I really appreciate it. I will be looking into an alternator upgrade! 

• Like 1