Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That’s interesting about the raised strut setup. I wonder if Ironman in Oz will be offering the same thing, not that I’ll be needing it. Clearly the US market has identified a market big enough to cater for. 

Now they just need a decent low range… 

And Subaru should drop a ute into their line up again. It would be awesome to see a modern day Brat/Brumby built in the same manner as the original was - and make the tray/bed area big enough to hold/carry a dirt bike and some camp gear, then they’d be onto a winner…

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, el_freddo said:

- and make the tray/bed area big enough to hold/carry a dirt bike and some camp gear,

lol, cant even find a full size pickup that can do that anymore.. it is all about passenger space & comfort..  want a real truck? you are gonna pay thru the nose for it cause you have to spec it out yourself.

in the 'old days' of compactpickups, someone (Mazda????) had a nice set-up for 4ft wide panels/plywood carrying capability - they had 'indentations' on TOP of the wheel wells for a 2x4 to go across. panels would lay flat that way.

I still think a small Subaru truck, particularly one that looked more truck-like than the Brat, would sell well here in the States. Small estate utility/neighborhood runabout, etc.

16 hours ago, el_freddo said:

That’s interesting about the raised strut setup. I wonder if Ironman in Oz will be offering the same thing, not that I’ll be needing it. Clearly the US market has identified a market big enough to cater for. 

Now they just need a decent low range… 

And Subaru should drop a ute into their line up again. It would be awesome to see a modern day Brat/Brumby built in the same manner as the original was - and make the tray/bed area big enough to hold/carry a dirt bike and some camp gear, then they’d be onto a winner…

Cheers 

Bennie

Everyone says its time for a  ute

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nipper said:

Everyone says its time for a  ute

It is. They need to bring back the Baja based off the new wilderness or the ascent chassis.

Honda has a Ute, Ford now has a Ute. Subaru needs one.

I think it would sell well now; especially if it had a manual transmission either with a crawling gear or a dual range like they sold in Australia in previous generations.

Edited by laegion

10 hours ago, laegion said:

....especially if it had a manual transmission.....

ROFLMAO - no, a manual trans would not sell well. Not in today's market... people want the flippin car to drive itself, they want to be involved as little as possible anymore, too busy looking at phones to actually drive.

Sure, there are folks like you and I that would go for a manual, but the plain fact is, we are not the primary targets of the new car market. We are niche market.

5 hours ago, 88SubGL said:

Manual transmission= Millennial Anti-theft Device 

amen to that!

when I went to go look at the Forester I currently drive, the guy was like "you do know it is a manual, right?" and i was "yup and HOT DOG!" LOL

apparently he had a lot of people come look at it before me, but they all turned it down because of the stick - their loss, my gain. :D

9 hours ago, 88SubGL said:

Manual transmission= Millennial Anti-theft Device 

Too true. Kids here that I deal with trying to reengage in education will steal high end cars that are auto. Those key fobs are not great security as they’re only as good as the security of your house/purse/handbag etc. Once they have your key fob you can expect to be visited by the police asking you where you were at X time and explain why your car was where it was doing 3 times the posted speed limit in town… 

My brumby/brat currently has better security than newer cars because it’s manual and requires a Hotwire job. Plus there’s no Bluetooth to play their tunes as they flog my ride, no kidding! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Manuals have clutches that wear out - and their computer interface of a chimp rowing a stick about mindlessly is less than ideal in most cases. Auto's are smarter at traction control and the torque converter acts as a built in low range. If built properly the automatic will win in every category, every time even against an experienced manual transmission operator. 

That's just the facts people. And you all know I'm not biased due to lack of any kind of driving skill with either system. 

The failings are now entirely within the implementation - wiring, computers, planned obsolescence, products rushed to market with insufficient testing, etc, etc. 

Consumer automotive products made in the last 20 years are largely dead to me. Just plain garbage. 

GD

• Like 2