Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm hoping that's all. The parking brake cable is stretched and doesn't work. I got new tie rods installed, I installed new CVC axles, replacing right wheel bearing. Parking brake cables next ?

Edited by RudyTudy
Edit my edits

That’s a question only you can answer @RudyTudy

Have you tried adjusting it? 

If just using the auto trans park setting to hold the weight of the vehicle it’s perfectly normal for the vehicle to move forward (or backwards) a little as the trans brake takes effect. It all depends on the incline you’re parked on. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

slight movement of an automatic when parking without using the parking brake is perfectly normal..  you are replacing stuff that did not necessarily need replacing. and for the record, aftermarket axles for a Subaru are garbage.

as for the parking brake, you may need new parking brake shoes and maybe a new cable, but i would bet shoes for sure. they are typically ignored by most when doing brakes because they are not a part of the normal brake system on a car with disc brakes all around, which your Outback should have.. the parking brake is located inside the rotor cap on a car with all disc brakes, typically on the rear - completely separate from the normal brakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always adjusted with the star wheels. Works fine. Direction for tightening is embossed on the dust shield. I THINK upwards (yes, on bith side) is tighter.

chock front wheels very securely, put trans in neutral,  lift rear of car onto jackstands both sides, pull p-brake handle up to first click, adjust star wheels until you can't turn the tires (or, not without  a lot of effort) - check, repeat if required but, always worked for me.

• Thanks 1

I've done both adjustments, however I didn't turn Star enough. I'm going to try again. The first time a couple months ago, I was turning and turning and I'm thinking how does this tighten cable for disc brakes ? So I  stopped. 

manual says 7-8 clicks on the e-brake handle, which, i personally think is a bit much.. 3-4 would be far more realistic

and it is not necessarily "ineptitude", but it is definitely different than what most are used to, lol

honestly, after 20 plus years of owning Subarus, not sure i could go back to "American" cars :lol:

Edited by heartless
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RudyTudy said:

I've done both adjustments, however I didn't turn Star enough. I'm going to try again. The first time a couple months ago, I was turning and turning and I'm thinking how does this tighten cable for disc brakes ? So I  stopped. 

The adjuster should tighten up as it's putting pressure directly on the brake shoes,  and you'll want the tire in the air PROPERLY + SAFELY SUPPORTED, so it can be turned to find the 'sweet spot' between too much and not enough. As noted, 3-4 clicks is plenty.....and don't be one of those that yanks the living life out of the brake handle lever. :-)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RudyTudy said:

The first time a couple months ago, I was turning and turning and I'm thinking how.....

i guess my question would be, were you turning it in the right direction?

to tighten, the star wheel gets turned up (counter-clockwise)

if you were turning down (clockwise) you actually loosened things up

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2022 at 6:58 AM, RudyTudy said:

Thank You for informing me of my ineptitude of Subaru's technology and mechanical engineering. I'm always trying to do things fast because girlfriend's on the way.

All of us started somewhere with our mechanical knowledge so stick with it. Same goes for the girlfriend thing too, it helps if they’re into cars a bit though ;) 

If you were being sarcastic, well played, if not, the above still stays as it is B) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

It's all good, I went back under the 2.2 and adjusted parking brake right. Took about 10 clicks on each side. Had car off the ground using my new 3 ton jackstands from Harborfreight with safety pins ,$44.99. Way better than other two I got.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1