Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'91 Loyale - Totaled, Parts anyone?

Hi Everyone - 

Been following the forums for a while now and have very much appreciated all of the info every one has shared here. Slowly put together a really clean '91 Loyale with 2" ADF lift, 14" Peugeot wheels/Maxxis bighorns, dual range transmission (shop rebuilt by Super Rupair in Boulder and off the shelf after a 10 year slumber with a slight whine in the output bearing at higher speeds :)) , new struts all around, new steering rack and back-dated grille from an '85 wagon. Everything else is basically factory and all but the horn and the clock were working great when I was rear-ended last week. I've put more than 20,000 miles on the car since purchasing on Bring a Trailer almost 4 years ago (https://bringatrailer.com/2018/02/05/bat-auction-success-story-1991-subaru-loyale-5-speed-4wd-way-more-fun-than-a-new-outback/) and had about 1500 miles on a fresh EA-82 build that included split case with machine work and all new bearings, pistons, rebuilt heads, lifters, EGR and oil pump - it almost doesn't leak and the R-12 AC works great, haha! This thing runs strong and has hit multiple mountain trips over 12,000'+ passes without complaint, still got better than 23-24mpg with the big tires and would pull 55-60mph up some of the steeper I-70 grades in 3rd gear. 

In the accident the rear bumper and trunk were crunched in about a foot on the left rear (including the roof/gutter line above the rear door) and the truck I was pushed into up front creased the front fender and apron. I drove it home but front and rear wheels on the left rub pretty good at wheel turn or over bumps. Trunk and rear passenger door won't open. 

Insurance has totaled the car and unfortunately I don't think I have the same time I once did to re-create another any time soon - wanted to see if anyone has any interest in the parts or whole? (If this post is better suited to the classifieds I'm happy to shift it over also). If someone has a clean wagon they want to part with that just might tempt me into another build :D Either way I am not willing to let insurance recycle it to an auction lot somewhere.

Photos showing some of the work, previous condition and current condition below...car is located in Denver, CO.

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

IMG_5065.jpg

IMG_6216.jpg

IMG_6944.jpg

IMG_7798.jpg

IMG_7806.jpg

Edited by Loyalekid

• Loyalekid changed the title to '91 Loyale - Totaled, Parts anyone?

I would LOVE to buy the peugeot wheels off of you if you wouldn't mind shipping them to WA. Do they look damaged/do you think the rubbing is due to wheel damage or axle/front end damage? So sorry for your loss.

P.S. It might be a problem on my end but the photos seem to broken and are just displaying as a small '?'

Edited by Loyalety

The wheels and tires are just fine - luckily didn’t get hit in a way they were affected. They rims are in really good shape and currently have maxis bighorn tires with only about 1500 miles on them, would you want the tires and wheels? I’ve tried to add photos several times - might be a phone issue, I’ll give it a shot from a computer too. Here’s a link to the local craigslist ad with photos also…https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-1991-subaru-loyale/7475987851.html

What a shame. That’s a beautiful build! Yeah, I would be totally interested in rims and the tires. Without factoring in cost of shipping how much would you let them go for? They’d be going to a loving home lol. I could do PayPal friends and family or whatever you’re comfortable with if the total cost is feasible.

Edited by Loyalety

So I did the responsible thing and checked my finances (I just purchased the big project car off marketplace, a clean turbo loyale wagon that I’m going to be feeding parts to from my original worn out 5 speed loyale) and I only have about $1k in total max spending cash right now left over. :-( I don’t want to insult you and I don’t know how much shipping would be but google tells me anywhere from $100-250 for sets of smaller rims and tires depending on the method. If you’d rather hold onto the tires would you perhaps be open to the idea of parting out just the rims?

Edited by Loyalety
Fixed words

16 hours ago, Loyalekid said:

The wheels and tires are just fine - luckily didn’t get hit in a way they were affected. They rims are in really good shape and currently have maxis bighorn tires with only about 1500 miles on them, would you want the tires and wheels? I’ve tried to add photos several times - might be a phone issue, I’ll give it a shot from a computer too. Here’s a link to the local craigslist ad with photos also…https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-1991-subaru-loyale/7475987851.html

Too far and no time but man I was tempted to call my shop owner friend who's got a frame puller he deals with, that's such a sharp ride, too bad it's hit so bad. 

Thanks everyone - have a local interest who has a body shop and frame rack, he’s  coming to check it out in the next few days. If he isn’t interested or doesn’t think it can be put right I’ll start working with folks on parts…

• Like 2

Not trying to Hi-Jack, but have an '89 Wagon 650 miles south, in Las Cruces NM area.   5 speed 4 x 4.   Weathered paint and sun damaged interior plastics, vinyls, etc.   Very Clean underneath.   Maybe both of these Cars can be put together?  Will Sell it for $400 without the Engine and Five Speed or $600 with.    With All remaining '85 - '94 Compatible parts - $1000.    There is a Title.   

Edited by newmexguy
  • Thanks 1