Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL Carter Weber carb help

Working on a clean 83 GL garage find! Been sitting for about 7years but everything on it is in great condition. Super excited about this project but am in the learning stages of working on carburetors. I’ve cleaned the tank, replaced fuel lines, filters, even traded out the fuel pump bc I was suspicious of the box looking one not working. Been bottle feeding at the carb and she sounds great but knew I had to dig into the carburetor if I want her to run. I’ve been taking advice from a few old forums on here and got the Carter Weber $3 manuals off eBay along with a service manual. It seems people debate in the hitachi versus the Carter but I would like to stick with what I got but hope parts are not unobtainable. The fuel sensing unit seems to not be working after I dismantled and cleaned but that’s the least of my worries at this point. Any ideas or help in that would be great.

I need to find a rebuild kit and haven’t had any luck on a couple sites such as rock auto and whatnot. Hoping carburetors unlimited or some other recommended sites could help me out. Appreciate any advice in advance and have a nice day!

Edited by glALABAMA83

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve only been able to find a rebuild service for carters. National does it for $229 now. I decided at that cost to go ahead with a Weber for $320 since my carter was always problematic and being a single barrel was gutless. Good luck with the hunt.

https://nationalcarburetors.com/Subaru-1800-1982-1985-1781-CC-MT-4WD-w2-Vacuum-Lines-on-Pulse-Solenoid_p_354.html

• 3 months later...

Correct, you will need the EA81 Hitachi Intake Manifold to run the aftermarket Weber 32/36 Carburetor.

There are many people out there that have them available... have you tried any of the Facebook forums? There is a lot more traffic there... I could list some of them here if you would like to try those avenues.

Is your Subaru a 4WD? FWD? Manual or Auto Transmission?

It is rare to find these cars in decent shape in your part of the country. Would definitely be worth taking the time to fix her up if not for you to enjoy but to sell later on to another enthusiast

Hey buddy I just came across a couple intakes that I won’t be using. You’re welcome to the one I suspect to be an EA81 just cover shipping. It’s also loaded with the sensors , etc , even a rough looking carb. 

Sadly I can’t post pics here right now. But you’re welcome to email me and I’ll send pics. Start with a message here and we can communicate further. 

If you’re willing I suggest you post the pics and have this group help you through. Not a really bad project for a first timer. 

If you dare venture into face book there’s a few older Subaru groups you’d want to check out. And within one of them I have a current post of those intakes I just gathered, with photos. Here’s the copied link. Not sure if you’ll have to sing in to see. 
https://m.facebook.com/paul.salomoni/posts/pcb.3199099580338843/?photo_id=5614693165256379&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.3199099580338843%26photo%3D5614693165256379%26profileid%3D100001472520427%26source%3D48%26refid%3D18%26_ft_%3Dencrypted_tracking_data.0AY9f1ytnYTQdn-Ezm4h5dvb6Fh03jq59lMMK0bRyUyBC-tPmp6L8SbKCB8OlCFXB5pLJK__MiTzs7kmpYqIqDDxvLuz5Zn5uIG2h4Gaj70sS5y9AE_IbOX783mIRCWyoWiqWKnHDCOUVov1muuh8IUxo4_Kb6GtMFV-6hTcevyUzHMqppYIJLHgpffcLD5BfBfe3Pu4CL_K9jLl33R-FxVqLmDds5BbRViKDzuR9nVgWwKcZcTIvlyAnydOrUr1oSbruClj1vpyKohzX5vqErAOqi9hdKMObjzlPo6bEMAvN61is3B00R7R9ighZOOWEAe8ZX9ra4M_bag954fMLujmunvz0mIG-AI5kbbG6frmKExLFsTYJMJ_AtoAeuc8_UTIdAjkXOPX654ZGUKBNiArP9KJlu8vBgC3hdWdBP-u2Cjj5exmhyUOGXUZ7aGj3H1WCQXn4Fzw5A9F1Dl1_HYNzuvMV9Fam_iFmycvDsZuSL4FdSF4RWSXHUoiRlOwk0FO7mTnpjmrm0I1zIKFaTRCad8iHk-xWTu5et0fD_bEAviOAfZk-Br_QsVMXJRiYLRcLCYHOiCivZxiagdCk7fxfBgir6fIoWmQhaN0yF0B0pCBGFSRg2ZIWP8jHsgHwTNYMtWEa0SIFXo4i8a4IMvNj96vMXZ-wbzuQKZiddcw2LTeZThUzS5qL3hkQlNNAgsbgNsEmVIe33zZmLVsUTNn1r1efkWQyM7Q_skJMYzcJG8mV8MuTBF_SG7OxuDQDD_KSm-UbQXqARtcUfioRGveqDBvcct2bIyuCRTJzZ8W-cSen6z87nlYsIOZYNlkIIveYQccSC3eF9GSxwql7jkcDZJkpwgpQjrI6sWS-JFxhhL6rL0dUg44Nr7esvqnPVoaskIsHXCPc3NTbWPcafuvfUGe1h3tl01VinEOVWBgsUXTZT2-KSgk9Xp-uW1Wpc3buFdDwISZpDNlv-5RCXlLhnYbR6fpKxJWQcGykaKZx4aGTGyegKuTFXxdchn68wzb33bztRfdj6ndcQ0HLe7oQfFBgyJiNoky6GGCfUUVtBWJ6Dco8xsq-UJlVoFsuFgabwcDcQ4CncKqQqoIodeN8xUWkfxHeG8CoF41a8JyZhw8wm-pCVX3pSqENxZjVywll1cozmfeyZ0WXWY4C2R8Y7tvRqgfhqfyw5_Rt21uG2N2qPtSQthBCD1uuPwuqQsVd9G8yJIrBGwn8j-uwDCbk5bLZ3rCvHygE1QgcexghbYVp1w%26__tn__%3DEH-R%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D&mdf=1

Good luck !

Good deal. But what I was thinking was when you get the pics I sent just compare to your own and maybe post my intake here so the gang can review if you feel you need that help. 

It’s a tough call for me because I gave up the 80’s and never looked back. 70’s is where my heart beats. 

The intake I sent pics of may be a later edition from an 85-87. So I’m hoping your eyes or other folks eyes can determine if it’ll help you or not.

As mentioned in the email I will get measurements next time. 

Edited by moosens