Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel level sender unit 92 loyale

14 hours ago, pksjeep said:

I don't know for sure on this car, but most sending units are in the gas tank.

Pretty sure they need a new/used replacement, not locating it on the car.

16 hours ago, Issac said:

Anyone know were to find a fuel level sender unit I can't find one anywhere 

Are you sure the sender is bad, and not just the wires? Mine had a wire go bad where it goes though the tank. I stripped it all down, used some new fuel safe wires and epoxy to reseal it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

Pretty sure they need a new/used replacement, not locating it on the car.

Are you sure the sender is bad, and not just the wires? Mine had a wire go bad where it goes though the tank. I stripped it all down, used some new fuel safe wires and epoxy to reseal it.

No I pulled it out and inspected it it's coveted in rust and is froze up completely 

17 hours ago, Issac said:

No I pulled it out and inspected it it's coveted in rust and is froze up completely 

Have you tried to free up the moving parts then clean up the contact tracks? If you manage to do this it’s an easy check to see if it will work before reinstalling ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

I have done some research on this and it seems the part number 85111GA153 has been discontinued across the board for basically all 1994 leones and older with the analog gauges.

My question (not to steal this thread) is can we adapt a universal fuel sending unit to our tanks? Has anyone used a different make and model part as a replacement?

On 5/3/2022 at 10:40 AM, el_freddo said:

Have you tried to free up the moving parts then clean up the contact tracks? If you manage to do this it’s an easy check to see if it will work before reinstalling ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Yes i have cleaned everything and even fixed the wires that are broke

still just trips out and moves all over the place

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 12:00 PM, 1980ea71Brat said:

I have done some research on this and it seems the part number 85111GA153 has been discontinued across the board for basically all 1994 leones and older with the analog gauges.

My question (not to steal this thread) is can we adapt a universal fuel sending unit to our tanks? Has anyone used a different make and model part as a replacement?

I have a flushed / cleaned  tank from an '89 wagon.  sender/float is clean.  Research seems to be that it fits '87 to '89 only.  Any reason why this same setup wasn't used in the "carry-over" '90 - '94 Loyale Wagon models?    

Well I will let you know. Because I just ordered a fuel tank from a 1991 loyale for my 87 RX. So I am going to swap the sending unit at the least. I already swapped in the tach unit and it worked just fine with my 87 sending unit.

To clarify my 87 sending unit only works intermittently. But the gauge read full when fully lift and empty when fully lowered. But I will find out if the 91 sending unit fits in a 87 tank

Edited by 1980ea71Brat

Just an update - The gas tank I ordered out of a 91 loyale seems to be an exact (or exact enough) replacement to my 87 gas tank and the fuel sending unit looks identical.

Also, I had to replace the cluster in mine because the fault was actually the gas gauge itself, and not the sending unit. Hope that helps someone out there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...