Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic transmission reliability

Yeah, I know it all depends on how well it's been maintained, but are there any bad years (or models) for automatic transmissions?  For example, in the Honda world, the '98-'02 Accord transmissions were duds while the '91-'97 Accords had very reliable automatics.  I'm thinking about buying a 2002 Forester.  It's got an auto.  Not my first choice but it's going to be for Junior to learn to drive while learning the basic skills.  Once those are mastered, then we'll consider a manual. 

If the 2002 Forester doesn't work out, I might be looking for another Subaru due to wanting/needing AWD so other models and years might be a consideration.

Thanks in advance.

Throw junior in a manual and let him figure it out. Why are we babying him? 

The auto trans in that forester is much more reliable than the head gaskets in it's engine. Also much cheaper to replace. 

Generally. I have a customer with a 1999 Outback that is on it's third automatic at 160k miles. Both of the previous units suffered catastrophic front differential failure. So it does happen and I would say the most common failure on the 4EAT is probably front diff failure.

GD

Any 4EAT transmission is beast. 99-00 are arguably worth avoiding for minor issues.

A 2002-2006 Forester has the 4EAT

Manual trans plain suck anyway. They offer no net advantage to ownership except popping the clutch on a dead battery, secruity, and often they can be bought cheap since no one wants (to deal with) one.  Support is waning, parts and replacements getting hard and $$$$$ to get.  older ones need a clutch or synchros warn, torque bind has no easy solutions, it was driven hard or the new clutch sucks or wasn’t done with TO or pilot bearing or cheap components and input shaft bearings…and just the time to replace a clutch is a waste. 

The better question is about engines, not transmissions. 

9 hours ago, idosubaru said:

They offer no net advantage to ownership except popping the clutch on a dead battery, security, and often they can be bought cheap since no one wants (to deal with) one.

you forgot one... the "fun" factor, LOL

but yeah, i agree that with relatively modern automatics, there is no real advantage to a manual other than already noted.
fuel economy will be very similar between the two.

i ended up with my current Forester because it was a manual and no one else wanted it. works for me. =)

14 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Any 4EAT transmission is beast. 99-00 are arguably worth avoiding for minor issues.

A 2002-2006 Forester has the 4EAT

Manual trans plain suck anyway. They offer no net advantage to ownership except popping the clutch on a dead battery, secruity, and often they can be bought cheap since no one wants (to deal with) one.  Support is waning, parts and replacements getting hard and $$$$$ to get.  older ones need a clutch or synchros warn, torque bind has no easy solutions, it was driven hard or the new clutch sucks or wasn’t done with TO or pilot bearing or cheap components and input shaft bearings…and just the time to replace a clutch is a waste. 

The better question is about engines, not transmissions. 

While you are 100% correct - it's a life skill that any self respecting man, woman, gear-head, etc should learn. So owning one for a while is a good choice.

GD

• Like 1

6 hours ago, heartless said:

you forgot one... the "fun" factor, LOL

but yeah, i agree that with relatively modern automatics, there is no real advantage to a manual other than already noted.
fuel economy will be very similar between the two.

i ended up with my current Forester because it was a manual and no one else wanted it. works for me. =)

They do have great purchase value. 80% of good priced subarus I see are manual trans.  In my searches MT Subarus 15-20 years ago weren’t so differently priced. Extra annoying when they needed a new clutch shortly after purchase which wasn’t hard to have happen. 

51 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

While you are 100% correct - it's a life skill that any self respecting man, woman, gear-head, etc should learn. 

Good point ! You’ve convinced me to teach some folks.

what’s the easiest Subaru to do a clutch on? Might be fun to teach a bunch of folks on the same vehicle!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thanks for the replies.  I thought I had set up notification to replies, but maybe I didn't.  Anyway, this was an opportunity that came my way.  I wasn't actively looking for something.  If I had been, I might have filtered out the automatics.  The Forester in question already had the head gaskets done, so that's (hopefully) not something I have to worry about.  I still have an Explorer with a manual transmission that Junior can learn on. 

The price was right on this Forester.  It has minor issues that I can live with or fix cheaply.  The transmission fluid looked clean so it looks like it got some loving, at least since the current owner had it.  I did end up purchasing it, so we'll see.  If things head south with the transmission, I'm hoping there is a supply of JDM parts but the supply starts drying up 20 years after production.  I went JDM parts with my Accord.  The engine has 90K since installation and the transmission about 60K and all is well so far.  I pulled the valve cover recently to check valve clearance and not a single valve required adjustment.  It was clean inside but I'm not one to let oil sit for long. 

9 hours ago, Basket_case said:

Well, thanks for the replies.  I thought I had set up notification to replies, but maybe I didn't.  Anyway, this was an opportunity that came my way.  I wasn't actively looking for something.  If I had been, I might have filtered out the automatics.  The Forester in question already had the head gaskets done, so that's (hopefully) not something I have to worry about.  I still have an Explorer with a manual transmission that Junior can learn on. 

The price was right on this Forester.  It has minor issues that I can live with or fix cheaply.  The transmission fluid looked clean so it looks like it got some loving, at least since the current owner had it.  I did end up purchasing it, so we'll see.  If things head south with the transmission, I'm hoping there is a supply of JDM parts but the supply starts drying up 20 years after production.  I went JDM parts with my Accord.  The engine has 90K since installation and the transmission about 60K and all is well so far.  I pulled the valve cover recently to check valve clearance and not a single valve required adjustment.  It was clean inside but I'm not one to let oil sit for long. 

That cars future issues will be if the headgaskets weren’t done well and having the original or aftermarket timing belt and pulleys. All of which are far more problematic than Subaru 4EAT auto transmissions.

I’d install new subaru/AISIN timing kit. $300-$400 in parts.  If you don’t want to put the money in it, install a new Subaru belt and Subaru lower cogged idler. inspect the tensioner and other pulleys (just spin them and see how much grease is still in them). If you can DIY small things you can do those two items in an hour. they cost $100 and are the most likely items to fail due to being aftermarket or never replaced which that low idler rarely is. 

• Like 2