Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I'm thinking of getting either an 05 legacy or OB wagon and I noticed some non-US pictures of the new legacy have some kind of LCD panel where the center cubby hole is ontop of the center console. Does anyone know if:

1. there's a part out there to fit a Nav system there? perhaps not likely since even if this were an option in other countries, they may not have the appropriate database for the US. (I don't even know if this is an option in other markets.)

2. fit an aftermarket screen in there, but still utilize the "stealth" feature of this cabinet. so when I want to have the screen, I flip the cover and out pops a screen. And when I park the car, I just close the cover and it looks like a plain jane interior.

I'd really like an LCD screen so I can watch Survivor re-runs as I'm driving down the street (just kidding of course). Rumors have been going around that the 06 will have NAV as an option, should I jsut wait until then?

Thanks,

Brian

So I'm thinking of getting either an 05 legacy or OB wagon and I noticed some non-US pictures of the new legacy have some kind of LCD panel where the center cubby hole is ontop of the center console. Does anyone know if:

1. there's a part out there to fit a Nav system there? perhaps not likely since even if this were an option in other countries, they may not have the appropriate database for the US. (I don't even know if this is an option in other markets.)

2. fit an aftermarket screen in there, but still utilize the "stealth" feature of this cabinet. so when I want to have the screen, I flip the cover and out pops a screen. And when I park the car, I just close the cover and it looks like a plain jane interior.

I'd really like an LCD screen so I can watch Survivor re-runs as I'm driving down the street (just kidding of course). Rumors have been going around that the 06 will have NAV as an option, should I jsut wait until then?

Thanks,

Brian

From what I've heard, the nav system won't be available until the 2006 models, or they might come out earlier, like spring 2005. You'll have to measure the opening to see if you can fit an LCD screen in there.

I'm still waiting for Subaru to get off their asses and offer a MP3 CD player (or in-dash changer). Other manufacturers are offering them now. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until they come out with a 3 party faceplate so I can put an aftermarket head unit in. My 96 Outback has a Pioneer DEH-7400MP player, which is a MP3 CD player and I can fit up to 12 hours of music on a single CD, and is XM Satellite Radio ready. :headbang:

-RC!

• 2 months later...

I spoke with Subaru HQ today and was told that it will not be possible to install a 3rd party sound system in the 2005 model year since the automatic climate controls and radio are integrated into the radio / climate control face plate. In other words, if you have a defective radio that requires removal you will not have climate controls either until the radio is replaced!

Additionally, there is no way to play an iPod through this radio unless you were to use the iTrip FM transmitter. I don't know about anyone else but that is an unacceptable sound quality issue. Since there is no cassette player it is not possible to use that method of passing the iPod signal to the sound system.

All thing considered, the new Subaru sound system options are miserable!

PS - I also hate the automatic climate control but that is another subject.

Additionally, there is no way to play an iPod through this radio unless you were to use the iTrip FM transmitter. I don't know about anyone else but that is an unacceptable sound quality issue. Since there is no cassette player it is not possible to use that method of passing the iPod signal to the sound system.

All thing considered, the new Subaru sound system options are miserable!

PS - I also hate the automatic climate control but that is another subject.

Did you check this site?

The interface with factory decks, treat the ipod like a cd changer.

http://www.dension.com

The Subaru Germany site lists a very expensive navigation system as an option, and some site pictures show a navigation system installed. The list price is well over US$2,700

Check this downloadable PDF file: http://www.subaru.de/legacy-zubehoer.pdf

Lots of nice wheels, etc.