Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crank pulley removal

I have a 1981 Subaru gl wagon with the EA81 and I need to remove the crank pulley to replace the front main seal and oil pump. I have googled and looked in this forum along with my Hayes manual but I can’t figure out how to get the bolt loosened because the motor will turn. I’ve tried it in 4th gear with a cheater bar with no luck. It turns the motor but the bolt won’t break loose. There’s nothing on the pulley that would allow for a bolt or screw driver to help stop it from turning and I can’t get anything in the flywheel teeth either. I read that it’s standard righty tighty so I’m turning it the correct way. Any ideas? Thanks. 

You have the car in 4th and the motor is turning, is the car moving? You might need to adjust the brakes or get some chocks.

You can also try "impacting" it by rocking the car with the bar+pipe against the ground. Just make sure the car can't roll away once its free. I sent a breaker bar though a rad like that once!

Edited by Ionstorm66
  • Thanks 1

22mm 1/2" drive socket on bolt with end of 3-foot breaker bar on driver's side ground (if left hand drive) then bump starter. Make sure to pull the coil wire FIRST!

Edited by lrgvanman
mentioned wrong side, reversed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lrgvanman said:

22mm 1/2" drive socket on bolt with end of 3-foot breaker bar on driver's side ground (if right hand drive) then bump starter. Make sure to pull the coil wire FIRST!

It’s for American market is that considered right hand drive? Thanks for the info. 

9 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

You have the car in 4th and the motor is turning, is the car moving? You might need to adjust the brakes or get some chocks.

You can also try "impacting" it by rocking the car with the bar+pipe against the ground. Just make sure the car can't roll away once its free. I sent a breaker bar though a rad like that once!

Car isn’t moving but the motor moves just enough that I can’t get the bolt to move before the bar runs out of room to keep moving. 

• 3 weeks later...

22mm 1/2" drive socket on bolt with end of 3-foot breaker bar on driver's side ground (if right hand drive) then bump starter. Make sure to pull the coil wire FIRST! I foolishly misstated that. It should apply to LEFT hand and not RIGHT hand drive. Otherwise correct. Sorry.