Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 A/C Situation

I have a 1983 Subaru Brat that was born as an AT but now has a MT. I was able to salvage a fair number of parts like the MT from a 1981 station wagon, including most of the bits for the A/C which I am attempting to install now. Even though I spend a lot of time in hot weather and it would be nice, I'm really working on this for my dogs which I haul around in the back with a cap on. Anyway, if anybody has some answers/advice I would greatly appreciate it. Either the Brat had A/C at some point or else it is "factory equipped for optional A/C". The plan is to get all the bits installed and then take it to somebody that knows what they are doing and has the right equipment to drain, vacuum, and fill the system. I really don't have a preference for what type of refrigerant they use as long as it works.

The first issue is mounting the compressor. I believe the compressor and mount that I have is the dealer installed version that has 8 mount ears and normally goes on the other side of the alternator from the (weber) carburetor. The first issue was, mounted with four bolts as it was on the 1981, it hit the side of the engine compartment and physically would not fit. So just until I know I can get everything else working I swung it up a bit and mounted it on two bolts. If I get it working I'll fabricate something to allow one or two more mount points for the compressor. BTW, I have no idea what shape the compressor is in at this point, but supposedly working before it was parked under a tree a couple decades ago. I see you can still get new aftermarket compressors, so even if the compressor turns out to be bad or marginal I know I can replace it.

The next issue was, with the odd mounting of the compressor now the belt was getting in the way. So I got an idler pulley to replace the one regular pulley that is attached to the compressor mount, and since the belt was rerouted it doesn't get in the way of anything else.

The next issue is the dryer. Since the A/C system was open for many years and then disassembled in a box for a couple years, my understanding is that it should be replaced. However, all the replacements I can find online do not have the two ports for the (I assume) high and low pressure sensors. Unless anybody here can point me to a good replacement the current plan is to get the portless dryer and just short the sensor wires and fool the Brat into thinking everything is fine. Not an ideal solution but good enough for now.

The next issue is I was not able to salvage the FICD actuator (and everything directly attached to it) that pulls the throttle increases the engine idle speed when the compressor is engaged. For now the plan is to just keep my foot on the gas pedal when needed. If anybody could point me to a source for even just the FICD actuator I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Finally I've read a fair amount about all this, and when draining and filling the system folks talk about a high and low port. The only thing that looks like they might be ports that I can find are on the compressor, and they are the same size. Is that what the ports look like on an R12 system, and if so which one is the high and which one is the low?

If anybody has an thoughts on this at all on any of this I would like to hear them. Like maybe I should try to keep it R12 if possible, or if people think the hoses are just going to leak after sitting so long.

After doubling down on the googling, it looks like the "Four Seasons 33276 Filter Drier" might be what I'm looking for. Before I buy it and try it, can anybody tell me what they think about it? I read somewhere that some A/C systems use a drier and some use an accumulator, and they are not interchangeable. Can anybody tell me which one a EA81/gen2 uses?

Also after some more googling I came across a possible solution for the FICD actuator: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115310985226

So I think this project is looking up. It may take a bit of time to work through everything, but I plan on posting an update eventually.

Accumulators are used on systems with orifice tubes, the orifice is a fixed metering device, so if the evaporator gets too cold, liquid refrigerant can exit the evaporator. This will damage the compressor, as it can only compress gases. The accumulator sits between the evaporator and compressor, and allows the liquid to expand. They also contain the desiccant and filter that would be in a filter drier.

EA81/82 have temperature controlled expansion valves, so they don't need one. The expansion valve replaces the orifice tube. It has a capillary tube that sits on the evaporator.  When the capillary cools it closes the expansion valve so the refrigerant is always a gas in the evaporator. So you only need a drier to dry and clean the refrigerant.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to post an update. I got all the parts installed and took it to a local A/C shop. The guy was nice an knowledgeable but said I would be wasting my money because the system had been disconnected for so long all the oil had congealed. He didn't seem to believe me when I told him that the evaporator and expansion valve had probably never had refrigerant in them. He also said that the hoses were probable too brittle to be used, and said the only refrigerant he used was R134. Finally he recommended I go find somebody that would but in a complete aftermarket system that would cost as much as I have into the entire vehicle. But he did say he would charge me $100/hour to do whatever I wanted him to do. He actually seemed like a good guy trying to help, but I'm not going to follow his advice.

The current plan is to go ahead and buy a new compressor, and also an A/C flush kit to clean out the hoses and condenser. Then I'm going to flush the hell out of the condenser and hoses. Then I'm going to take it back up to him and tell him to hook it up and see if it will hold a vacuum, and if so go ahead and try adding refrigerant.

I still have a question I would really like answered, though, in case I end up having to do everything myself. Where the hell are the high and low ports on this system? Again, the only thing I can find that might be them are on the compressor and they have black caps, so are those them? And if so which is which? Attached is a picture of the compressor I am buying.

PXU_GP6511421.jpg

The lack caps are the high/low ports. I couldn’t tell you which is which. I think an old system I had in one of these had red and blue caps, and I recall they were on top of the compressor, not behind it. That could just be the type of compressor used in your system, and I’m sure your system over there is different to the two we have over here in Australia. 

Cheers 

Bennie

You should make new hoses. Buy a crimper, hose fitting ends, and bulk hose. When you do you can purchase whatever drier you like. They are cheap and made in tons of combinations.

I would figure out a generic modern R134 Sanden compressor and make new brackets. That R12 stuff was $hit anyway on R134 and you'll have no end of problems. If it doesn't lock up or blow out the shaft seal it probably will have mediocre performance. 

Flush the evap and condenser and cross fingers. 

Run a trinary switch for pressure shut off and fan control. 

Went through all this with my 86 Trans Am. Then you find out there's really not enough airflow through the front end to support it's use if it's really hot out. Remember you will be dumping all the cabin heat into the radiator and also blocking airflow to the radiator with the condenser core all in addition to a 15 HP load on a 74 HP engine. 

I have NEVER seen a really great functioning AC system in an EA81 vehicle. With all the Brat windows and t-tops and poor insulation I would be surprised at any system that could do more than 10-15 degrees and not overheat the engine. 

GD

• Like 1