Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bogging, Jerking, Hesitating at hot temperatures

4 minutes ago, azdave said:

Do you have a can of Dust Off?  The contents are R152a which is a great refrigerant. If you think it might be the ignition module (which could fail in the heat as you describe) then invert the can and spray several short spurts to cool off the part and then see if you can drive much further before the failure returns. Even cooling it with a handful of ice might prove or disprove this theory.

My 87 Mazda B2000 had an ignition module fail in this same manner and an Icee slush drink from the convenience store got me home. Cherry flavor works best.  :)

It's worth a shot, I would probably use a can of contact cleaner though. I'll have to try that next time it messes up

14 hours ago, el_freddo said:

@Btcox- that’s the module I’m talking about! I like @azdave’s idea with trying to cool that part down to bring it back into its heat range where it works as intended. Worth a shot and will pin point the issue of the trick works. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks! I'll start tinkering with that and or replace it, then be back with an update.

23 hours ago, azdave said:

Do you have a can of Dust Off?  The contents are R152a which is a great refrigerant.

Smarter yet would be to buy an actual can of freeze spray, which is intended for just this purpose.  Electronics suppliers carry it.

• Like 1

Update:

By looking at the codes, there is no code for an ignition (ignitor) control module for the impreza so this could explain no CEL. Its a pricey part but I've ordered a replacement and should arrive Thursday. I'll be back with an update after install and test. 

Screenshot_20220614-092034_Edge.jpg

Screenshot_20220614-092018_Edge.jpg

Screenshot_20220614-092012_Edge.jpg

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

You didn’t try the freeze spray trick first? 

Cheers 

Bennie

I did not, my wife drives it for work and doesn't have time to stop and freeze spray it while she's working. When I drive it I can't reduplicate the issue unless I drive it for a few hours when it's hot outside. By the time she gets home it's not as hot out anymore and I just end up driving around for hours wasting gas so I ended up ordering a new one

Alright, replaced the Ignition Control Module and still the same issue.

We were driving it yesterday and it started hesitating again, so I wanted to try a few things.

I thought this was interesting to note, if you put it in neutral the rpms rev normally but if you put it back in drive or any gear (automatic transmission) it starts to hesitate again.

I'm wondering if it may be related to pressure in the transmission rather than an issue with the engine.

Still no check engine light

Edited by Btcox

15 hours ago, el_freddo said:

a faulty purge control solenoid for the fuel tank ventilation system, it could be doing weird things. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Do you know of a good way to test/check those?