Ultimate Subaru Message Board

soon to be Brat owner

Hey all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a rather ugly 82 Brat, it's even got the "third eye."

I am experienced in working on vehicles, mostly 80s Japanese trucks, so I am ready and eager to get into a project, but I also know things typically don't work the way you want and I'm always ready for a new problem.

I'm new to the Subaru game, so I'm trying to understand some stuff. Is the Brat essentially just a "trim" level? For instance when looking for parts I.E. taillights, head lamps, corner markers, looks like any Subaru from 82 would work?

The EA81 engine is already pulled on the vehicle and is alleged to have been resealed and clutch replaced, and comes with a Weber carb. (Yes I know I should probably just swap an EJ engine in while I've got it out, but my wife is definitely not going to sign off on that one lol.)

I figured I would ask the community here what are some things I should do while I have the motor out?

Steering upgrade or suspension while I have the working clearance?

Worth getting rid of the clutch driven fan for electric?

I'm not trying to put a million bucks into it, but I am trying to build myself a strong commuter vehicle.

I am planning on taking care of any and all rust in the engine bay, as well as the rest of the vehicle.

Thanks!

That's great, nice find!

It's got a full bed and rear facing seat it's more than a "trim level" of what is otherwise the same vehicle -  but yes there are lots of cross over parts as you've found out in researching.  Godo job.  It's sometimes easier/more efficient to look up parts for other year/models depending which site you're using on these older Subarus.

I'll leave the EA81 specifics to others more familiar with them. 

Oil pump is the first item to get a second good unit of on the shelf, not that I’ve ever needed to replace one on my EA81… 

GD will tell you it’s a dead platform not suited to commuter work, more weekend toy spec, even then he’d probably say that’s too much to expect… 

But if you look after it and not flog it to keep up or marginally get a head you should be right if you’re not smashing out big kms each day. 

The only steering upgrade is power steering if you can find a kit. It must come from another EA81 model to ensure it fits. Otherwise it’s a good time for new boots while the exhaust is off so you can drop the rack and do it on a bench after a good clean. 

The front end lights would be the same as any other EA81 with the same front end. The tail lights are brat specific. 

Rule of thumb is basically any EA81 will be compatible with the brat from the front seats forward, with exception to the doors of a sedan and wagon; coupe and hatch doors are the same size but the glass is different between the brat and the coupe, hatch I’m not sure on glass being the same or not. 

So if you see a “long” instrument cluster (6 gauge analogue, also comes in 4 gauge spec and digital) and want that, it will fit and work with the matching wiring behind the dashboard. You’ll need the dashboard, wiring and instrument cluster as a combination. 

AC can be fitted if you find a donor to pull it from. 

Drivetrain is all the same with a possible difference in tailshaft length between different models - 4wd and 2wd dependant. Obviously a 2wd gearbox isn’t going to run a 4wd system but can be swapped in to delete the rear drive for weight reduction and economy gain. But a 4wd box can’t take the place of a 2wd box without plugging the rear output shaft. These gearboxes typically run different clutch sizes too. 

There is little that’s interchangeable between the EA81 platform and the EA82 platform. The EA82 5speed gearbox is apparently a good upgrade but requires mods to the gearbox mounts, gear shift linkages and tailshaft to make it fit. Wheels swap over but brakes aren’t so easy for the front end. Rear end are bolt on swap over, just ensure you get the backing plates and move 4wd brakes to a 4wd recipient and same regarding 2wd. L Series rear disc brakes will swap over to the EA81 too. Just stick to the above rule regarding 4wd vs 2wd ;) 

Braided brake hoses are a good upgrade for better pedal feel too. I’ve done it on my L series years ago and it’s worth the coin in my book. 

That’s about all I can think of from the top of my head atm. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, gobbledygook said:

This is great! A community member is sharing their brat with me while I move into a house that requires 4x4 to get up the driveway. This is all information that is good to have. 

That’s awesome. There’s not many ppl I’d share my brumby/brat with! 

Cheers 

Bennie