Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt/waterpump kit, which one??

Just bought a 2003 outback a couple days ago and am freshening up most parts for peace of mind. Right now I'm stuck on the timing belt/waterpump/pulley kit.  Shopping around, I see gates, continental and ac Delco. Reading up, I see aisin is actually the way to go, but I can't pin down which kit is right, as product descriptions are vague or misleading. Helpful hints:4th VIN letter 'B', t-stat at bottom - if that helps

Edited by punx2400

I get the "peace of mind" thing, but I still don't get why people routinely install these kits when there's no evidence of problems with the pump or tensioner and most of the hard components aren't all that failure-prone.

When I do timing, if the pump isn't leaking and the tensioner's tensioning, it's the belt and the toothed idler (which has a much higher failure rate than the smooth ones).

1 hour ago, jonathan909 said:

I get the "peace of mind" thing, but I still don't get why people routinely install these kits when there's no evidence of problems with the pump or tensioner and most of the hard components aren't all that failure-prone.

When I do timing, if the pump isn't leaking and the tensioner's tensioning, it's the belt and the toothed idler (which has a much higher failure rate than the smooth ones).

I bought this from a 17 year old kid for 1500 bucks. At first I thought he was just naive and assumed he thought that was a lot of money, or he'd have asked for more. When I was messaging him on Facebook marketplace about it, and when I went to pick it, I knew it was in rough shape, but for that price, mileage, and with no major damage, I was willing to buy it anyway. Lo and behold, every time I pop the hood or open a door, I find something new that is seriously neglected, or just destroyed due to ignorance. The car came >--< this close to overheating in downtown Seattle on I5 on my 2 hour drive home from picking it up.  When I could finally pull over, I found that the radiator was nearly empty while the reservoir was brimming. I topped it off and continued on my way. 2 minutes from my house, the needle started climbing again.  I pulled into my driveway, checked the radiator again.  Again, low. No visible leaks.  I'm assuming stuck t-stat and/or internal head gasket leak. 

The way I see it, I'm yanking the engine, to do the head gaskets, because at 195k miles, I believe them to be original. While I have it on the stand, I figure changing the clutch and timing set would be a good idea, so I KNOW when they've been done, rather than going off the word of a clueless kid, who was the 3rd owner of this car.

You should've seen it. The whole stereo/climate control assembly was torn out and reinstalled with sheetrock screws, the blend door cable dangling. I found a food stamp card and a weed vape cartridge sitting on the ECM.  He put a cold air intake on it and since the intake tube was too long and not sharp enough bend, he just hose clamped the end of the tube onto the throttle body at 45 degrees and duct taped.  The IAT was connected with what looked similar to surgical tubing, and leaked bad. 

I could go on, but the point is, I want to create a solid baseline for this poor thing's service history. 

2 hours ago, idosubaru said:

See, this is what I thought too! But..  Looking at this pic I just screenshotted, no mention of outback, or legacy for that matter. But if you're sure, I'll take your word for it. 

Screenshot_20220517-103127_Chrome.jpg

I feel you.  Completely understandable to go the extra kilometer and get that baseline peace of mind.

Today's fastener coincidence:  I'm in the middle of some lightweight front end bodywork on my girls' '05 Mustang ragtop - they clipped a deer last fall, so we're replacing bumper cover, a fender, and a couple of lights.  In another case of what-fscking-slob-had-his-mitts-on-this, we found ample evidence of a previous front-end "event", and where there should be a metal plate with three captive studs that anchors the fender, bumper cover, and turn signal together, the old, rusted-out original plates were used, but held together with - wait for it... those big screw-in drywall anchors.  And wire ties.  Lots of wire ties.  Sheeeeeeeee-it.

Edited by jonathan909

11 minutes ago, punx2400 said:

See, this is what I thought too! But..  Looking at this pic I just screenshotted, no mention of outback, or legacy for that matter. But if you're sure, I'll take your word for it.

That's just goofy - the EJ25 used in those cars is the same as that in the Legacy/Outback.  Maybe they didn't list those cars because they had other engine options e.g. DOHC, H6, etc., which it obviously wouldn't be compatible with.  But if yours is a SOHC it should be the right one.

Edited by jonathan909

I feel you.  Completely understandable to go the extra kilometer and get that baseline peace of mind.

Today's fastener coincidence:  I'm in the middle of some lightweight front end bodywork on my girls' '05 Mustang ragtop - they clipped a deer last fall, so we're replacing bumper cover, a fender, and a couple of lights.  In another case of what-fscking-slob-had-his-mitts-on-this, we found ample evidence of a previous front-end "event", and where there should be a metal plate with three captive studs that anchors the fender, bumper cover, and turn signal together, the old, rusted-out original plates were used, but held together with - wait for it... those big screw-in drywall anchors.  And wire ties.  Lots of wire ties.  Sheeeeeeeee-it.

Tell me you don't mean toggle bolts... Holy spoob. Lol

That's just goofy - the EJ25 used in those cars is the same as that in the Legacy/Outback.  Maybe they didn't list those cars because they had other engine options e.g. DOHC, H6, etc., which it obviously wouldn't be compatible with.  But if yours is a SOHC it should be the right one.

OK, thank you sir!

9 hours ago, punx2400 said:

Just bought a 2003 outback a couple days ago and am freshening up most parts for peace of mind. Right now I'm stuck on the timing belt/waterpump/pulley kit.  Shopping around, I see gates, continental and ac Delco. Reading up, I see aisin is actually the way to go, but I can't pin down which kit is right, as product descriptions are vague or misleading. Helpful hints:4th VIN letter 'B', t-stat at bottom - if that helps

When there’s confusion check with manufacturer.  AISIN says: TKF010

https://aisinaftermarket.com/english/onlineparts.html

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, forester2002s said:

Timing Belt: No matter what the ad says, check the T-Belt before use.

Never install an unbranded T-Belt, nor one with confusing or deceptive info on the belt. It's just asking for trouble.

Right. 

10 hours ago, forester2002s said:

Timing Belt: No matter what the ad says, check the T-Belt before use.

Never install an unbranded T-Belt, nor one with confusing or deceptive info on the belt. It's just asking for trouble.

I might add, do a physical tooth count of the belt too. 

Aisin is the way to go if you want a "kit".

I use Mitsuboshi belts, NSK or Koyo bearings, and an Aisin tensioner. Requires more homework to find all the right part numbers (I usually look up OEM # by VIN, and cross reference from there), and sometimes ordering from multiple sources (I've been using CarID for the last few sets, but I think I've gotten the tensioner from RockAuto).

Don't think I've bought a water pump in 10 years or more...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, punx2400 said:

I don't know why I didn't see the vehicle application to this part number before on Amazon. It's literally right there. Haha thanks buddy 

You're welcome. It's confusing. AISIN kit designations have changed over time while listings through 3rd party suppliers and internet searches haven't tracked those changes very well. 

17 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Aisin is the way to go if you want a "kit".

I use Mitsuboshi belts, NSK or Koyo bearings, and an Aisin tensioner. Requires more homework to find all the right part numbers (I usually look up OEM # by VIN, and cross reference from there), and sometimes ordering from multiple sources (I've been using CarID for the last few sets, but I think I've gotten the tensioner from RockAuto).

Don't think I've bought a water pump in 10 years or more...

It's certainly been a long time since I've spent this much time tracking down parts. My Silverado's parts are like ordering from door dash. Lol