Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy 5 speed swap cruise control

I've got a cruise control question for anybody that can help. I've got a 90 Legacy that I manual swapped last year and am now installing cruise control. Everything is hooked up per the directions on surrealmirage. My problem is that when I hit the cruise button the relays and orange cruise light will turn on but when i let go both instantly turn off. Cruise control doesn't work at all yet. Both relays are clicking including the re-pinned clutch switch. Brake lamp switch is a brand new 4 pin. Not sure what I did wrong. Any help appreciated.

23 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

Could also be a difference in the control unit. You might find the auto uses a different unit to the manual. 

Cheers 

Bennie

They are different units but with a little bit of wire de-pinning and re-pinning you can get them to work with each other as long as you have the correct relays. Which I do.

This may not help, but I did this (10 years ago) on my '90, too.

HOWEVER, mine was turbocharged and the '91-'94 turbo ECU works for both manual and Autos...not sure if that's the case with the NA/non-turbo ECU. LegacyCentral should have that info. 

I also followed JC's info, did NOT install the inhibitor (?) switch (keeps from starting in gear), and swapped in a manual CC computer. Worked OK when finished. 

If anybody is interested I did fix it. I bought an auto CC computer off of ebay and plugged it up. If you just clip one of the 4 wires that goes into the auto relay (black and red wire) it works. The only thing is it of course doesn't disengage when you hit the clutch, but personally I only use it on long trips so I'm not to worried about it. Not sure if my manual computer was bad or If I wired it up wrong, but in my opinion it's easier just to use the computer that matches the factory harness of your car.

• Like 1