Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 BRAT, low voltage, could the alternator be the only culprit?

I have an 85 BRAT, I replace the alternator six months ago with one from my parts car, '84 GL.  The replacement seems to be bad, with low voltage shown, and light coming on.   

Is there any component which could be making these alternators go bad?   I thought the voltage regulator is in the alternator. 

mkoch

How many miles on the alternators?  They typically wear out a brush right around 150k miles, causing low output.  I've rebuilt several of the alternators since 1988, 150k is very repeatable.  A couple of times the internal regulator or the rectifiers died.

Edited by DaveT
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveT said:

How many miles on the alternators?  They typically wear out a brush right around 150k miles, causing low output.  I've rebuilt several of the alternators since 1988, 150k is very repeatable.  A couple of times the internal regulator or the rectifiers died.

That sounds about right.   Both alternators that recently went bad had well over 100,000 miles on them.