Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo??

yeah, disco on ausubaru built an EA82T, ceracoating tops of used pistons among many other refinements and he got a refined EA82T but after some time felt he needed to put some UEC through the intake, on the side of the road for maybe the first time in his life. It stalled and stayed stalled. Then clean up transferred gunk to the valve stems because it could not be burnt in a wet ignition engine - not enough revs up caused it to stall,  causing him to strip for diagnosis and that was the end of a a sweet ride and his play with Subaru's

I still reckon disco stuffed up the procedure using UEC in the EA82 for a start. Second was not enough revs. 

It’s a shame he put in all that effort then parted it out rather than pulling the heads and cleaning the valves up. Wasted project there in my book. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2022 at 6:44 AM, Heater said:

How hard would it be to install a turbo on my 89 1.8l single port fuel injected EA82. I really don't want to do a motor swap for this motor has been tried and trued through the extreme abuse I have put it through.

i also have to agree that the ea82 has a place, and anywhere near a turbo isnt that place. ej22 swaps are very easy. hell- ill help you do it. i have an engine, harness, the know how, and have done a few dozen swaps. if you need help or honest opinion, let me know

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:34 AM, Crawlerdan said:

i also have to agree that the ea82 has a place, and anywhere near a turbo isnt that place. ej22 swaps are very easy. hell- ill help you do it. i have an engine, harness, the know how, and have done a few dozen swaps. if you need help or honest opinion, let me know

16 years of mild turbo EA82 and nodding head. I prefer them over non turbo EA82

I have a couple EA82T cars.  One with 90K, the other with 150K.  Both are strong, lovely engines.  They have nice torque down low and a tiny little RPM range where they pull hard enough to give the illusion of power - remind me very much of my Harley Evo.  That said, I'm an old dude and having read a forum string such as this, fully expected a fragile, flawed engine when I found my XT.

If I had a point when I started this missive, well it slipped my mind lol.  Certainly adding a turbo to an ancient EA is a fools errand.  But all this ire aimed at my tiny snail toting boxers... just mean.  😉

Rich