Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roadtrip June 3,4,5 You along the way ? NYC-Phoenix via CO Always seeking vintage

Open to meeting (quickly unless you can offer a place to crash out) anyone along the magical route we haven’t quite finalized yet. 

Most likely working our way through the upper Midwest and then down I think 79 towards Denver. 

Always considering anything vintage and running or even close to running , or super solid body. If you know of something local or have something you want to off load please let me know and if along the way I will certainly stop by if I’m truly interested.

And if you just want to meet up and shoot the dook for a little that’s cool too. Maybe even combine with a good junkyard you know of ?? 

My taste: 1970’s most anything , 1990-94 Legacy , early Impreza up to 2001

Outside chance you catch me on a good day and I may be a sucker for an 80’s dual range whatever. 

Was considering a run to CA but that might just become a long day trip or overnight around San Diego. Thereby smashing my dreams of hitting northern Cali and scoring a front bumper I want , etc etc etc 

And the rest of you are looking for a shiny green 2003 Legacy wagon , likely a blur in the highway. It’ll have Connecticut plates. Hopefully we drive past the red necks fast enough that they don’t see our plates and start throwing rocks at us. 

See ya ! 

• Like 1

There’s some craptastic I70 congested one lane action on Rt 70 around Wheeling WV. If possible avoid high traffic times there. I just drove it yesterday.

If you come across RT 68 June 5th you can crash at my office on the floor, I’ve got an inflatable, and I’ll buy you breakfast and talk less than 11 minutes Mon Morning.  Probably a little out of your way but 68 is commonly used by frequent travelers to avoid I76 tolls and less traffic through the beautiful mountains of western Maryland. 

You won’t be the first board member who’s stayed in my office. I’m the only person there during summers.  It’s just a minute off the interstate.  But I’m not in town June 3/4.

My house is way off the beaten bath, no cable no TV reception no internet probably no cell service and its a long way from the interstate, curvy mountain gravel roads so it’s not a convenient over night stop. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, moosens said:

Very cool , thanks ! I’ll check with my son, but I think he mentioned 68 too. He did the reverse trip a couple years ago. 

I sure will send a PM if it looks solid that we can swing by your way. 

I got my dates wrong. I think I’ll be around all weekend so I can do any date. full showers bathrooms and kitchen and noone else will be there. It is on a main street - so there’s some random traffic noise if you’re a light sleeper. But it’s only a 30,000 person town surrounded by mountains so not like a big city. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 7:40 PM, moosens said:

My taste: 1970’s most anything , 1990-94 Legacy , early Impreza up to 2001

Hopefully we drive past the red necks fast enough that they don’t see our plates and start throwing rocks at us

Southern CA, CO and SW US seems to be the best place for dry, rust free, and decent prices. Look hard - that’s a good opportunity! I’ve gotten a few from out there. Hope you can find something!

You’re talking about most of my neighbors. They’re good people and will gladly help you change a flat and would be kind unless you’re loud, trying to pull one over on them, criticize, or disrupt their homes. They’re good folks but “Don’t tread on me”.

The rock thrower types are usually reclusive and locals can eye roll when their names come up. I helped one diagnose and fix his daughters Subaru, gave him some parts…..and almost regret it. Hahaha. 

• Like 1

Ok here we are , on the fly. Made up the route as we boogaloo’d.

Pardon the non stopping in the northeast. Enjoying all the green. 

Left CT and the NYC traffic for the sweet roads of “upstate NY”. Took 287 away from hell , caught a minimum of the backside of rush hour , and hit 17/86 and through the Appalachians. Getting close to Erie. Heading towards Louisville, sure to stop for the night somewhere on that run down 71. 

Will check back later. Cheers ! 

• Like 1

Kansas, kind of not so bad. Like one mega golf course in the eastern third. Working the western grasslands now. Wrap up the day in CO. 

Thought we were going to stay on 70 but we’ll see what we decide in the morning. I’d rather head through Pueblo and down to Santa Fe, but we’ll see what the party decides. 

Knock on wood this old 2003 is rocking it out. 292,470 on the car , I’d say around 250k on the swapped in tranny and rear differential, and around 128k on the engine with a very recent headgaskets, etc etc 

• Like 1

Probably no reason to look me up when you get to Phoenix unless you are really bored. I have the typical blue 2003 WRX wagon @ 200K and the recently acquired 87 DL wagon (240K) that I'm still working on.  My wife and I live in Gilbert and I work in Tempe west of the ASU campus. We could even do lunch.

We have 13 cars between the wife and I including eight 1965-66 Corvairs in various conditions. We don't care for modern cars cost/payments/insurance so even our newest vehicles are approaching 20 years in age. 

Sorry about the heat when you arrive but it is June in Phoenix.

• Haha 1

Thanks ! Let’s see what the week brings. 

I share your philosophy. Our newest car is an 06.

Colorado is where it’s at. Plenty of old Subarus 

Did the Continental Divide, currently in Aspen. 

Working west , looking like we are going to just relax and cruise. Any pressure to get back East quickly is removed. To a degree.

• Like 1

Trip over , car made it flawlessly. Health hasn’t been the best due to a virus. 

Colorado is where it’s at. 

Not sure which day I’m leaving yet but I’ll be in Tempe and up in Scottsdale  , but I do have some cold/flu symptoms. Gahddammit it’s hot here. Send ice ! 

• Haha 2

News stations act like it's the apocalypse or something because it was 110 yesterday here in Phoenix but that is quite typical for June. They issue special "HEAT ALERTS!" just in case you don't know it's another summer like the last one and the thousands before that. Quite comical really.

They make it sound like we should shut down the city and "shelter in place" or something until the heat passes after September ends. Monsoon season is next. That brings in a whole new round of media hype. Ultimately, anything that convinces people not to move here is okay with me, even if it is over-hyped drama about seasonal weather. I got off work at 3:30 PM yesterday, which is the hottest part of the day, and within 10 minutes of getting home I was out working on the DL. Wear sunscreen.  :)

• Like 1

Atta boy.  I’ve been here four times previous , usually for a week plus or minus. And two of those events were in July , one in June , and one in April pretty much just as the heat kicks back on but we did enjoy that most for the temp and mix of sky , little sprinkle of rain. And got a head start that year for tanning being New Englanders. 

Hoping to roast these last symptoms out of my head and move on. Lingering cold/flu. But not like they’re fitting me for a body bag yet. LOL 

3 hours ago, azdave said:

News stations act like it's the apocalypse or something because it was 110 yesterday here in Phoenix but that is quite typical for June. They issue special "HEAT ALERTS!" just in case you don't know it's another summer like the last one and the thousands before that. Quite comical really.

They make it sound like we should shut down the city and "shelter in place" or something until the heat passes after September ends. Monsoon season is next. That brings in a whole new round of media hype. Ultimately, anything that convinces people not to move here is okay with me, even if it is over-hyped drama about seasonal weather. I got off work at 3:30 PM yesterday, which is the hottest part of the day, and within 10 minutes of getting home I was out working on the DL. Wear sunscreen.  :)

"Yeah, but's a DRY heat..."  :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 2

Feeling way better now. That sun kicked the crap out of whatever was in me. 

I saw 117deg.  today , nothing new to me. Happens most of the time I show up in this state. Couple more days here and I’ll be growing horns and a pointy tail. 

• Haha 1