Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Steering wheel puller

20220612_150653.jpg.09b7f24fb0079ce27b1c42e2462e174c.jpg

Hey all - cross posting this for visibility. See link at the bottom for the full story.

As you can see in the attached picture, I am in the process of removing the dash from my 1987 RX. I am struggling to get the steering wheel to separate though. If anyone knows the correct tool that will work for our application or of a technique that doesn't involve a hammer I would be super grateful. I have already slightly started to damage the nut and threads using the hammer method and have decided to reach out for help before going too far down that rabbit hole.

Thanks for reading.

I’ve removed a few with no special tools. It’s grueling abs that’s probably an understatement. .

Grab the wheel on opposing sides. Literally wear yourself out trying to walk it off the splined shaft. Push one side while pulling the other side, then switch push/pull, and back and forth and back and forth. Do this like hundreds of times when it seems like the wheel isn’t moving at all and you feel crazy even trying while it seems impossibly seized on there. Eventually they come off. 

If you can direct any heat around the splined shaft without damaging anything do it.  But I’ve never used heat on a steering wheel. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Haha 1

I always have to use a centre pull device to get my steering wheel off. You’ll find a  threaded hole one either side of the steering shaft in parallel. I used these and it worked well. I remember one time, probably the first time, putting loaded of tension on the centre pull and leaving it overnight. It popped off overnight. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

I always have to use a centre pull device to get my steering wheel off. You’ll find a  threaded hole one either side of the steering shaft in parallel. I used these and it worked well. I remember one time, probably the first time, putting loaded of tension on the centre pull and leaving it overnight. It popped off overnight. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers 

Bennie

If they work on Subaru's this is the way to go. They're a beast to remove.  Advance and other national chains have free loaner tools, I'd call and ask your local store if they have a steering wheel puller.

Why are you not using a steering wheel puller? I don't think I've ever seen a steering wheel that didn't have holes already drilled and tapped exactly for that reason. It's way better than damaging the shaft with hammering, heating or possibly cracking the grip plastic covering by forcing it back and forth like a cavemen during the process.

• Haha 1