Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Metallic Rattle Under Acceleration '14 Forester

On 6/23/2022 at 5:00 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

They usually paint mark the drain plug and put a tamper sticker over the dipstick - thus you unbolt the TUBE and lift it and the dipstick out of the pan and suck out an (alarming) amount of oil and then take it in. Instant short block replacement on Subaru's dime.

In no way is this an admission of having done this or assisted in doing this :grin:

I'm ex-military. Someone says "Test" and my brain instantly starts down the path of how to rig the test. Especially when they send me out unsupervised...... all the tests in the military were open book. If you can't pass that kind of test you aren't trying at all. 

GD

Haha, fair enough.

The shop just quoted me $8600....so they won't doing the work. 

Does replacing the block fix the oil consumption issue? I've seen some horror stories of people going through a couple blocks.

Edited by Daskuppler

I got my results back from Blackstone.  They essentially told me the oil was too diluted/not used long enough to get accurate results (I can only go about 800 miles before adding oil).  I attached the report in case anyone has any insight.  Looks like the engine is running well and it's truly just bad rings.

Blackstone 14 Forester.pdf

19 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

It's a pretty known quantity that you have bad rings. Subaru lost class actions on this point and I've seen it first hand hundreds of times. 

GD

I did the oil analysis just to get ammo for fighting with Subaru. It obivously didn't work.  The service advisor felt bad and is supposed to be giving us a deal, we will see if they come in below $6500 or take care of the passenger seat SRS occupant detection malfunction for free.  Even if they come in at 6500, they are cheaper than anyone else including other dealerships.  The car should be done Friday.

13 hours ago, Daskuppler said:

I did the oil analysis just to get ammo for fighting with Subaru. It obviously didn't work.  The service advisor felt bad and is supposed to be giving us a deal, we will see if they come in below $6500 or take care of the passenger seat SRS occupant detection malfunction for free.  Even if they come in at 6500, they are cheaper than anyone else including other dealerships.  The car should be done Friday.

Passenger seat will require replacement for the SRS malfunction. 

GD