Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 to EJ22 Couple Wiring questions

Hi all, I am hoping to wrap up a major step of my EJ22 swap this weekend and just had a couple questions that I was hoping someone could answer. I found some answers from the search but not exact for my situation. 

The donor car is a 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.2L 

Harness was wrapped and prepared by SJR

Receiving car is a 1987 Subaru RX

I have already got the car to run and drive, I am just in the process of getting the gauge sorted and all the wiring routed in their final positions.

1) My speedometer is mechanical, Do I need this wire labeled 'Speed' and which 1987' wire am I looking to tap?

2) I have two wires labeled 'Rad Fan', are each of these a ground reference for the relay? As in, can I wire each to trigger two separate relays for two fans?

3) I have read on here that the Neutral wire is irrelevant for manual transmission cars, just wanted to confirm I leave this one alone.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have a 4.5 day weekend coming up and I am hoping to make some big progress on the project.

20220627_170252.jpg

20220627_170321.jpg

20220627_170332.jpg

Edited by 1980ea71Brat

1) this is the vehicle speed sensor. You can leave it disconnected. This wire connects to a Reid switch in the back of the instrument cluster. I’ve heard of a GPS unit being used too. 

2) These are for the rad fan relay. I only remember one wire for my Gen1 loom, yours might have a two speed fan setup that’s a little more complicated. But you might be able to run a fan off each relay with the ECU triggering them as needed. Hopefully someone else will know for certain what’s what here. Mine is an ‘88 series 2 and had the Reid switch behind the cluster in a carb model, if yours is a series 1 you might not have this, best to pull the cluster and have a look.

3) Neutral wire I believe you can leave it disconnected. I recall leaving my one disconnected and don’t have any issues. 

All the best with it! Ensure you finish off all the things you want finished before you start driving, otherwise they’ll always be lingering! Your very close now as you know ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Thanks Bennie, its a slow and arduous process. If I can leave the 'speed' wire unplugged, any idea what it does when it has reference to vehicle speed? I didn't get a check engine light last time I ran the engine (besides the engine rad fan being unplugged)

Edited by 1980ea71Brat

Dunno what it does exactly. I’ve heard it improves fuel economy but can’t verify that (cuts injectors when coasting down hills etc), and that it helps when rolling to a stop to avoid stalling but again can’t verify it either. 

GD might have some insight if he takes his “get a link management system” hat off for several minutes :lol: 

Cheers 

Bennie

So according to the diagram - I am looking for:

EJ22 Check Engine Light wire to Blue/Green (Combination Switch?)

EJ22 Oil Pressure wire to Yellow/Black (Black Combination Switch #9)

EJ22 Coolant Temperature wire to Yellow/Green (Black Combination Switch #1)

EJ22 Tachometer Signal wire to Solid Yellow (Black Combination Switch #7)

These should all be connected 'Going into' the combination switch to feed the corresponding signals to the Gauge Cluster. 

The last signal is the VSS signal (if I wanted it, sounds like not needed) which should be:

Yellow/Red (White Combination Switch #4) to the 'Speed' Signal wire EJ22. This should be the only connection made 'leaving' the gauge cluster correct?

*Edit* I guess this would actually be hooked up the same as all the others, the only difference is the signal is coming from the Yellow/Red wire instead of the other way around. All 5 connections should be made with a wire coming from the EJ22 into the combination switch.

Does all that make sense? This only leaves me with my check engine light... the only Blue connector I see is on the 'Clear' Combination switch.

Thoughts?

Edited by 1980ea71Brat

The other wire that is close for the check engine light is the Green/Blue wire @ Black Combination Switch #11. Possibly just a typo from the manufacturer? 

That Blue wire off the clear combination switch is like blue/yellow or blue/white

Edited by 1980ea71Brat

For the temp and oil wires just use the engine wiring loom from the EA82 and plug the wires for the oil and temp sensors onto the EJ units. Job done there. 

Check engine light - changes to a Red/Yellow wire if I’m reading the wiring diagram correctly. There’s a Red/yellow wire in pin 6 of the black connector. I can’t see where the CEL wire goes in the diagram as that black plug should be referenced in there and point to pin 6 being the required pin. Hopefully you’ll be able to see this with the wiring diagrams in front of you as it’s hard to put them together online! 

Tacho wire certainly seems to be the yellow wire in pin 7 on the black plug.

The VSS wire could be pin 4 on the white plug. Again you’d need to trace the wiring diagram to see if these line up to what we think we're looking at. If not we need to go back to the drawing board ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Speed and neutral signals both help with drivability, preventing the engine to stall when coasting and such. Not a major change, but super easy to hook them up, so just do it.

Yes, both fan signals are ground signals to trigger relays. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys. This helps a lot, I will be in a great spot if I can get the wiring lined up before I reinstall the dash and get everything set up on the final stretch. I basically spend all my free time at work using google search with 'site:www.utilmatesubaru.org'. It seems to work a lot better than the search function, but its still not perfect.

Bennie, I took your advice and followed the continuity until I found the Tach, oil pressure, and coolant temp signals inside the engine bay. That will make a clean set up with my power wires.

Numbchux, thank you for the advice, my fans* should arrive next week so I will be wiring up the relays next weekend probably. I also located the VSS 'T' connection mentioned in other posts, and used a spare T connection to extend the wires to be more easily accessed.

That just leaves me with three connections - Check Engine light, Neutral, and 'Starter' (Though I just wired this to the starter directly so I think its fine). I technically have the two A/C wires off the ECU as well, but that fell to the bottom of my priorities list.

Hopefully I can figure out the Neutral and Check Engine light wiring tomorrow. 

Edited by 1980ea71Brat

Correct about the starter wire. It just references the starter solenoid so it knows if it should richen the fuel is if the engine is cold, similar to using a choke. 

And yes, get all the wiring squared away before you put the dashboard back in/together. It will make your work so much easier. 

AC wires - I only recall one in mine but that’s not to say the second is to trigger fans. I had one AC wire hooked into the AC wiring in the vehicle, referencing the clutch wire somehow. I can’t exactly recall which one other than I used a wire at the relays on the firewall mounted near the vacuum tank. The ECU takes care of idle up when the AC clutch is engaged, fans come on etc. 

Good luck with the CEL and neutral wiring. 

Cheers 

Bennie

the speed sensor i have found real easy to find at the back of every EA82 speedo head - carb and efi that I have owned - just not done EJ conversion. If you want external sensor, research a pulse sending kit the VW guys use with our engines in their old beasts, or after market cruise control magnet that fits to rotating shafts or flanges