Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aging eyesight ? Are those tiny fuses hard to see ? 2006 Legacy

Having an issue with our low beams and apparently the daytime driving lights not working. High beams work. 

Looked at the fuse but to my eyes it looks good. I did not test it in any manner. I also did not try a replacement because suddenly I can’t find mine and no way am I buying more when I have them. 

So , these new fangled fuses , do they not show a blow as easily as older style ? I’m assuming I’d see a burn or separation somehow in the head of the fuse. 

Pardon my old man-ness. 

Those bulbs go out often.  Friend had an 06 Impreza.  He changed the bulbs and then a little later in the year the lights went out.  He had enough.  He sold me the car, it went to my brother in Wisconsin.  He still has it.  It was the bulbs.

• Like 1

yup, other half had the same problem with his 06 - both went out at the same time even.. which was why we thought it couldnt be the bulbs... checked wiring, fuses, everything we could think of to check... it was the bulbs

• Like 1

I my experience, yes when those 'new' fuses blow, it's pretty obvious to the eye. 

One way to check a blown fuse is to switch it with another of the same rating.

Ageing is challenging!  Especially eyesight.  I find that good lighting helps, but it is a PIT!  I always console myself by watching the latest world news ,and realizing that I have little to complain about compared to people in other parts of the world.

• Like 1

Yes , I did switch fuses now that you mention that. So I’m guessing it’s the bulbs. How wonderful !! You have to know I just recently , like days or weeks not months ago replaced those bulbs with fairly high end bulbs. 

Typically I’ll buy a less expensive set but no , not this time. 

Ok I’ll devote some time and check the bulbs and avoid the world news. I mean yes I can’t help myself lately looking in but I’m a total skimmer these days. I used to be that guy that never ever bothered with world news. 

Add a strained back to the equation. 

Thanks Larry for the side by side. That pic looks more clear than what my eyes saw. 

Bulbs. I’m going to find that receipt and you know the rest.

This current set I went one or two notches up from the bottom. Something like $34 for the set. But I’ll be raising cane over the $fiftysomethin’ $et that just blew. 

Edited by moosens

So this is just an industry screwing once again ? We know bulbs blow too soon , and have to buy LL type ? So the rest of them , and there are many and several levels of so called integrity for lack of a better word , those all blow fast ? 

Im not a movie fan at all but this harkens back the that one from the 80’s I think “Blade Runner” where the android dude just wants to know “how long have I got to live ??? “ to Harrison Ford if I’m correct. 

15 hours ago, moosens said:

For the record , to my eyes the factory installed fuses have a solid colored plastic and not so translucent as shown. Maybe not to your eyes. TBD

Take a picture with a cell phone, then enlarge it. Or use reading glasses if you have those.  After 40 years old a high percentage of men start to loose close up/small detail vision and the percentage gets higher with age after 40. It would be surprising if you haven't lost close up fine detail vision.

modern bulbs suck in terms of robustness.  I think "higher end" bulbs can have better characteristics - brightness/perceived brightness, clarity, color, pattern, but sacrifice longevity for it.  So you might actually be better off buying cheaper ones depending which ones you're looking at. 

I generally look for ones that favor longevity which isn't always easy to figure out since that doesn't seem to be the dominant concern. 

I *think* LED's are the preferred option for longevity but even that, I don't know which ones are quality verses marketing hype.  I think GD has posted which LED bulbs he installs? Maybe?  If so - he's probably installed a lot of them and has a much better view that those of us just replacing a few here and there. 

A friend designed circuitry to keep power supply consistent to lights on big rig trucks to keep the bulbs from blowing as often. Their lifespan was drastically improved.  The electrical inconsistencies - temporary spikes etc are what fatigued the bulbs.  I would assume that is at least partially true for automobiles as well.  And I wonder if daytime drivings light are more susceptible since they're always on when turning the car on/off and engine start up - etc.  They see all the instantaneously loads or electrical changes commensurate with those electrical moments. Just speculation but keep your power supply fresh. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 2

I have found that the brighter, or higher-performance bulbs have much shorter lifespans.  The Long Life bulbs may be more robust, but aren't as bright as the high performance stuff.

To extend the lifespan of the main headlight bulbs (I've been using Sylvania Silverstar for decades) on my 2008 Forester, I disabled the DRL feature.  My thinking is mostly along the lines of reducing the number of on/ off cycles, as described above.

Also.  Avoid handling the bulbs with bare fingers..the minute amount of your body's oil and fluids in your fingerprints is not compatible with the super hot glass bulb.  I prefer the 5 mil Harbor Freight Nitrile gloves for this job.

Just my 2 bucks

Edited by NV Zeno
Spelling, punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah about 35 years ago my buddy gave me big balls because those halogens were new and first thing I did was grab the bulb not the plate. That bulb did work and lasted plenty long. But I can still hear him ....

Agreed , too many spikes. 

And too many morons driving past twilight with only their DRL’s on. 

• Like 1