Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 Hatchback (Not Justy) Wrong Fuel Door?

Okay, this may sound a little odd, but I'm not sure what's going on with this.

I've got a 2nd gen GL hatch (production date may '87) which has given me some questions with its gas cap door, of all things.

Essentially, it seems as if the car has a rectangular fuel door and lever system from a 3rd gen car, as opposed to the locked round door which was used on all the rest of the 2nd gen cars to my knowledge.

So what's going on here? I know that 1987 was towards the end of production for 2nd gen cars other than the BRAT, so was this a weird symptom of parts swapovers for the end of production, or is there more to this than I can see? I've seen pictures of other '87s which have the original door so that's primarily where my confusion comes from.

Sadly I don't have photos and I don't have access to the car at the moment, but it looks stock, as I said it has the rectangular door, or at least it should, it's been removed at one point. So now all I've got is a rectangular void with the filler cap and no door, but it's definitely the shape and size of the gen 3 ones, and there's the lever to open it on the driver's side floor.

@SirFireWolfeIf the vehicle had been in an accident when it was fairly new it is possible that a body shop took the time to repair it as close to stock as they could with what they had available.

I bought a low mileage FWD Loyale Sedan that back QP and Front End body work done... pretty impressive what they did, not even mad as I knew it ahead of time before buying it just by the slight difference in panel colors.

I know that today there is no way the same amount of effort would be put into the car so it must have happened when the car was fairly new.

Anyway enough thats enough of that Subie story... I hope to see your Hatch when you are able to be near it and investigate it for clues

Huh, interesting. If it was a repair job, it was a damn good one because I for one can't tell the difference. I'm gonna see if I can't get some photos sent to me later today, since it's sitting at a friend's house waiting for the electric conversion I have planned for it...