Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towing UHaul trailer with 2013 Outback 4cyl

Hi everyone. My daughter will be moving from Colorado to Virginia at the end of August, and needs to pull a trailer with her home goods with a 2013 Outback, 4 cylinders. At the end of July the car will be fitted with a new engine block, but all the original external components (oil consumption problem in a different thread). It is three days of driving for sure. The transmission, etc have about 114,000 miles. Tires are good.

The car towing capacity is 2,700 lbs, and the tongue weight is 200 lb.  The class ll hitch well exceeds those requirements. 

The UHaul trailer is 6 x 12, and has dual axles. The trailer empty is 1920 lb. That gives her a trailer cargo weight of 780. (2700 - 1920 = 780).

She is not moving that much stuff, the problem is a queen size bed is large and doesn’t fit in the smaller trailers. She has other large bulky things as well. She figures the load at around 600-650lbs. Her estimate is pretty good because much of her stuff was bought online and she can go back and look at the shipping weight. Let’s assume the trailer and cargo are right at 2700 lbs. The trailer has onboard hydraulic brakes. 

Question 1) Is this long trip advisable ? 

Question 2) In calculating the weight, do we also have to include the two people, travel bags, cooler and two cats?  All of that would be about 370 to 430 lbs ?  If so, then the trailer cargo weight goes way down to about 380 lb.

My big concern, besides safety, is overtaxing the Subaru, particularly this new engine block and old transmission. Overheating could be an issue as well. What do you think ? PS: renting a UHaul truck with a trailer to pull the Subaru behind is crazy expensive.

Thanks much, Craig

sell the bed? buy new?

sell everything, stuff the outback and travel light.

go Maryland Terrapins!

My daughter and hubby paid to move from NYC to here in CT beginning of Covid.

Since sold off most every bulky item including their bikes, tables, chairs.

Currently AirBB monthly around the world. From London to Aruba to France.

Worked for them. Hope your daughter's move is safe and worry free for dad.

I guess you costed out driving renting a one way uhaul cargo van? Not as much fun if both passengers are able drivers and playing follow the leader...

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1

That's a lot of weight for a small engine.  When we go on camping/sailing trips with one of the ~2000 EJ25s (Outback or Forester), it's four people, our gear, and a boat+trailer that isn't much more than 500 lbs - single axle, no brakes.  With that load, there are hills (Alberta, BC, Montana) that the car struggles to climb.  The U-Haul empty probably weighs more than our entire load.

Others may have more directly relevant experience.

Sounds to me like in this case the U-Haul is a very poor choice of trailer if empty it weighs five times the load you plan to move in it.

• Like 2

I told the family many times if it does not fit in the car it's not going.  

Yes a good size trailer not the best.   I have pulled many a car dolly with a Subaru in tow with the drive shaft disconnected.  They were all under 2 hour trips.

• Like 1

The CVT in those models is hot garbage. Have replaced many of them and Subaru has replaced a lot more under the extended warranty. Just did one a couple weeks ago that had a total catastrophic failure at 134k. Customer came in today about something unrelated on her 13 OBW and was lamenting the purchase as the parking brake ECU has now failed and the transmission was replaced at 70k. She just wants rid of it and called it "junk". I would agree. 

I wouldn't tow ANYTHING with that model. They can't even reliably haul themselves. 

GD

• Like 3

I'd buy a trailer rather than use a uhaul. It'll weigh less than 1,000 pounds easily.  Sell it when you get to maryland and it'll probably cost less than renting.  My friend in Carroll County used to use them all the time and buy and sell trailers all the time. Let me know what you get and how much, we may be interested in a rust free trailer. 

As for the uhaul and flirting with weight limits:

1. Engine overheating is every Subaru's, 4 and 6 cylinder, first symptom.  Usually when it sees steep grades, high heat, and interstate speeds. Seen it on many subaru's towing over the appalachians.

2. It's August - a terrible time for heat.  Drive early and at night if she does it. 

3. The CVT's are not forgiving. Change the fluid.  It should be changed every 60k anyway.

4. Uhaul's aren't great for Subaru's.  Uhaul trailers are very heavy, I guess they have to be for commerical/continual use and renter abuse.  and I've had uhaul brakes dragging while driving.  My guess it's either because they get beat to snot or the angle of them on a Subaru isn't typical and tends to load the system outside of expected norms.

5. Also keep in mine Uhauls widest uncovered trailer doesn't have a full open back tailgate area.  So the 72" trailer can't fit something that needs the full 72" to load.  Like a 72" lawn mower for instance won't fit through the gate even though it fits on the trailer. 

6. Yes newer CVT's swap - I'm installing a 2017 into a 2013 now.  Most are plug and play, some require just swapping some of the external hardware on top. 

I wouldn't want any of my relatives to do it, but I might be convinced to change the trans fluid, monitor engine/trans fluid temperatures with OBDII device while driving, drive at night and take route 70 with tolls rather than 68 due to it's steeper grades.

...which may be why I'm installing a new CVT into my 2013 outback right now.  LOL

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 3

Thanks Ido, good considerations. I hadn’t really considered buying a trailer mostly due to logistical considerations, but it is possible. I will go look at some locally tomorrow and get an idea. My son, who is a Navel officer gets moved a lot, and he purchased an enclosed utility trailer to pull behind his Subaru Ascent Touring. Works great for him. (We are an all Subaru family).

Lots to think about. I am not wild about the combination.

Anyone have any thoughts on calculating the weight? Do I need to figure the people and cats in the cabin? Or just the load behind the car?

Thanks much. C

2 hours ago, craigmcd said:

A true comment: The UHaul trailer is 900-1000 lbs heavier than a similar Wells Cargo trailer. The trailer purchase would be about $4200 for a 5x8, or $5800 for a 6x10.  The bigger one is 1220 lbs.

Oh you need enclosed. I was thinking an open trailer, they'd be less weight, less expensive and probably better at resale. 

I guess stopping at hotels is problematic but is an open trailer and tarps an option?  An enclosed trailer is heavy and pulls like a parachute. Neither of which are good for Subarus.  They have to work harder for the extra weight and the drag inducing cross sectional/frontal area.  The car will pull a larger trailer, just tossing out some risk assessment and options.

• Like 1

Will U-Haul even let you hook the trailer up? They follow safety rules to a T.

I'd vote for sell the stuff and buy it again. Get a big roof box, a hitch mount box, and call it good. You can usually get them used on craigslist.

I have a 5x8 enclosed steel framed trailer, it weighs about 1100lbs.  I have towed it with a 14 Forester with the CVT and would not recommend it. I live in Colorado and the hills are a nightmare.

As GD said, baby the transmission change the fluid (I do a drain and fill once a year).

I think you're asking for trouble, but who knows. Sometimes things just work out and are okay.

Best of luck!

• Like 3

We replace them with Subaru OEM remanufactured transmissions. Cost to do so is about $9,000. Last time I needed one they had 53 of them in the local warehouse. That's how bad this problem is - they stock 50+ units at any given time just in the Portland warehouse. They are junk, they are disposable, and you shouldn't even consider towing with it. Out of the question IMO. 

Tribeca's run the 5EAT transmission. They aren't great either but are stronger than the CVT in a '13. 

It's a station wagon with a weak transmission and an underpowered 4 cylinder. Rent a U-Haul TRUCK and pull the Subaru behind it with a car hauler. You rip that CVT out and you'll be in a world of hurt with tow bills, repair costs, and who knows where it decides to stop moving..... RISKY.

GD

• Like 2

GD's $9000 potential hit sounds like it's time for Craigslist For Sale By Owner for possessions unless family heirlooms.

No white knuckle driving and a moment to reassess what one needs to carry into the next phase of life.

(Says the geezer with a garage and basement filled with junk.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We are looking at using a U-Haul U-Box, which is a large container which we would load, and U-Haul would transport across the country. I am also looking at a 6x10 trailer, which is a bit smaller than most. I agree with you all, and have communicated to my daughter that any problems are magnified by having the trailer along. 

To be fair to my daughter, she has already gotten rid of a lot of her belongings, and is only bringing what is really important to her. She has sold several large family heirlooms already, including a whole dining room set. 

Thanks for the ideas and help.

• Thanks 1