Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester 2012 2.5 XT automatic. 202000 km. replaced cv left front 3 times last 5000 km. 1st after market, 2nd & 3rd dealer.

Problem - regardless of what the dealer does, the cv is still noisy on sharp turns or when pulling off. Dealer cant find the problem, suggests play on the shaft. Any suggestions before going for 4th replacement?

are you 100% sure it is the left one that is the problem?? right side tends to be more problematic than the left, generally speaking.

also, not sure how there could be "play in the shaft" if they are replacing the entire CV axle? that just makes no sense to me.

Thanx for the responses. It has not been suggested to replace the right side, however, it was suggested to replace the bushes on the control arms but I am not sure that would solve the problem. I am not a mechanic, but is it possible that the left assembly has been displaced a mm or two due to an accident earlier in the cars life, causing the distance from the inner and outer joints to increase slightly causing the play on the shaft? (I bought it secondhand as a "never been in an accident" vehicle, however, a tyre replacement revealed a bent rim and a later accident revealed some body-putty...)

a mm or two is not going to make any difference as far as the axle goes - a cm or two would be more obvious.
worn bushings are not going to cause axle noise as you describe - the control arm would have to be significantly moving/ready to fall off for that to happen.

a bent rim can be caused by a multitude of things, including potholes, curbs, being run into in a parking lot, etc.  
Body putty can also be the result of something relatively minor such as being run into in a parking lot.

again, not sure what you mean by "play in the shaft" - the central part of the axle is a solid piece of metal, with joints at each end.. inner and outer.. and they are designed to have a certain amount of wiggle room.

I am going to suggest that you thoroughly inspect the inner wheel well liner... look for any rubbed or worn looking spots.. cracks.. etc. Turn the wheels to where you would typically hear the noise, and check tire clearance with the liner..  try wiggling the liner, too... see if it is loose anywhere.