Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant Temp Switch

I have a ea82 in a '92 Loyale that will not idle when cold without some throttle.  It used to start then run at around 2,000 rpm when cold, then drop off by itself when warm.  I assume this is the job of the green harness connector coolant temp switch.  The IAS works consistently whe given 12v.  So my queston is, do any of you know the resisitance values for the coolant swiitch cold vs hot?  They are available on Rock Auto, but are over 100 bucks.  I guess it could be a harness issue too, but thought that the switch would be a good start.

The CTS  [coolant temperature sensor] is a thermally sensitive resistor.  It has 2 wires, and is located on the lower part of the thermostat housing.  I have posted a thread with various readings of Ohms vs temp vs Volts on this forum.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 2:15 PM, Ionstorm66 said:

The 1 wire coolant sensor is for the gauge, and the two wire is for the ECU.

Normally, yes. Good question on the values. If you had a resistor wheel or decadic wheel tool with loads of resistor values inside it, you could intercept the wire to ECU and feed it various Ohms to see if you get a change in engine behaviour at rest/idle etc.