Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone with a totalled or scrap brat ??

i purchased two brats from an estate sale a few weeks ago. there is no paperwork. owner passed, etc

a common practice with older cars is to buy titles from a wrecking yard etc.

anyone have a parts brat with a title and vin plate and want to sell? i would need two . both my brats are second gen (82 and 85)

let me know if you can help

On 8/1/2022 at 4:15 PM, Crawlerdan said:

anyone have a parts brat with a title and vin plate and want to sell? i would need two . both my brats are second gen (82 and 85)

That's funny. You just stated on a public forum that you intend to commit a felony twice (as well as whoever is selling you the titles and tags).

21 hours ago, azdave said:

That's funny. You just stated on a public forum that you intend to commit a felony twice (as well as whoever is selling you the titles and tags).

There are title and VIN plates continuously listed for sale on ebay. VIN swaps aren't prosecuted unless they were done to further some other criminal activity like avoid lien's, "authenticate" stolen vehicles, etc. it's illegal to remove catalytic converters, work around emission laws and CEL lights, and modify safety equipment....all of which are ubiquitously discussed on forums with people even providing free code to upload to ECU's to intentionally remove P0420 emissions code and remove the CEL.  AZ just passed a law making older cars with problematic title/VIN issues easier to register and I think even allows some types of VIN plate changes in certain situations for older vehicles. 

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

There are title and VIN plates continuously listed for sale on ebay. VIN swaps aren't prosecuted unless they were done to further some other criminal activity like avoid lien's, "authenticate" stolen vehicles, etc.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Even though all the cool kids may be doing it, swapping tags from one vehicle to another is very clearly a felony in every US state. There is no ambiguity about that.

The new Arizona statute you mention only allows for removing and reattaching the same tag to the exact same vehicle for restoration purposes. It has always been a felony to move a VIN tag from one vehicle to another for any reason. It does not matter how old the vehicle is or if the owner intended to commit fraud or not.

https://journal.classiccars.com/2022/07/22/new-vin-law-driven-by-barrett-jackson-goes-into-effect-today/

You'll obviously do what you want but I would encourage you to stop posting about it. Reality is, you have little chance of being caught until someone else owns the vehicle. If you never sell the vehicles, then you probably won't have any issues (unless the new VINs you are attaching aren't clean).

In Arizona, if you buy a car from out of state it has to be inspected in-person by DMV or state police to be registered. If the inspector believes the tag has been altered or replaced, they impound the vehicle on the spot so don't suggest it's a trivial thing. I know from personal experience that it is not.

Regards,

Yes also of you swap most the major components from one car to the other, including the vin plate, you get issued a NEW vin. You must show them both vin plated, attached and unaltered, and they issue you a new vin and a rebuilt title. Then your title looks crazy as they list all 3 vins on one.

Been there done that on trucks. Swapping good cabs on to good drive train frames.

Note if they catch you with an illegally altered vin, not only is it a felony, the car gets crushed. This is the federal government, they don't codswallop around.

Do you not remember them collecting all the illegally imported GTRs and crushing them?