Ultimate Subaru Message Board

for a while ive been having a delayed start issue and the other day the key would not start it. i ran a jumper wire from the starter that hung out next to the battery and was turning the key on and touching the wire to the battery to get it started. yesterday i took and wired the ignition switch into a relay so that when i turn the key to crank it would click a relay on and jump the battery positive directly to the starter. this has made the car start reliably again by the key but now im getting a cel code every other start for a p1591 neutral position switch circuit low inpuit that i was not getting before and the wiring diagram does not show a neutral position switch in the circuit. i dont really get it because turning the key on and jumping it manually at the battery would not trigger this code but having a relay jump the starter automatically does. how can i make the cel not come on again and reliably have the car start?

Edited by sirtokesalot

• sirtokesalot changed the title to starting issues 2001 outback

I've put a hot shot relay in a couple subarus with no trouble. As long as it's triggered by the factory switch, it should all be fine. The system doesn't know if it's directly triggering the starter solenoid, or a relay.

It's possible that the original problem was a failing neutral/range switch or wiring to it, and you are now getting a second symptom.

21 hours ago, Numbchux said:

I've put a hot shot relay in a couple subarus with no trouble. As long as it's triggered by the factory switch, it should all be fine. The system doesn't know if it's directly triggering the starter solenoid, or a relay.

It's possible that the original problem was a failing neutral/range switch or wiring to it, and you are now getting a second symptom.

so when u did the hot wire thing how did u wire it? in my car i left the stock wiring there and simply added a second system to help the factory setup work. my system is just wired in along side the factory wiring. relay trigger is the key to start position relay gets power from battery and is passed through right to the starter spade post. i left the factory wire attached there as well. my wire is actually attached simply by holding it over the post and plugging the factory wire in so it folded my wire around the tab and is held there just by the fact that the factory wire is plugged in.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:26 PM, sirtokesalot said:

the wiring diagram does not show a neutral position switch in the circuit

on an automatic it is called an "inhibitor switch" - it allows the car to only start in either the P or N positions
this switch is located under the cover for the shifter.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:53 AM, sirtokesalot said:

so when u did the hot wire thing how did u wire it? in my car i left the stock wiring there and simply added a second system to help the factory setup work. my system is just wired in along side the factory wiring. relay trigger is the key to start position relay gets power from battery and is passed through right to the starter spade post. i left the factory wire attached there as well. my wire is actually attached simply by holding it over the post and plugging the factory wire in so it folded my wire around the tab and is held there just by the fact that the factory wire is plugged in.

Yep, Take the wire off the starter solenoid and run it to trigger the relay.

still getting the p1591 neutral position switch circuit low input every second start i tryed swapping the inhibitor switch and ecu get same code. what is it the ecu wants to see from the neutral position switch and can i just feed that to it so the code will just never set? the car does start in park or neutral as well.

Edited by sirtokesalot