Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heating tip size for torches

idosubaru

I assume no one looks at this subforum and I’ll ask my local welding supplier. But how do you get a small heating flame for rusty parts in tight places?

When I’m torching a ball joint bolt the blue focused flame licks up into orange tentacles up the knuckle and catches ball joint boots and sway bar links on fire and risks the CV joints.  Now I’m looking at some Tribeca rear control arms with bolts way up under the vehicle I’d rather not see wild flame-age.

Am I using too big of a rosebud ? I don’t know the size. Can they make real small heating circles?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rosebud tips are generally used for heating larger areas/pieces, like the knuckle before dropping in your new chilled bearing.

Use a smaller cutting torch tip and keep the flame short. Soak some shop rags in water and drape them over things you don't want to catch fire, like cv boots.

Find some table top heat pads like for serving dishes or pots at bargain stores for heat shields while heating with the torch. Drill small holes for bailing wire hangers.

• Thanks 1