Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice welcome - engine sitting since 1981

I’m sure I’ll get by but was hoping to have someone share their similar experience or that of someone they know or have learned from. 

For sure I’ll be scraping out the oil pan. Just mostly wondering about flushing the passages. 

I will have this engine out and oil pan off and heads off. 

Edited by moosens

• 2 months later...

Ok don’t all applaud too loudly now but the engine is finally at my storage hole just a nickel short of a buck with being on the stand and beginning the work. 

Have to dig up some long bolts to secure the block/bell housing to the stand. But this party starts really soon. 

• Like 1

There are times where I have used tranny fluid as a manual flush (cheap Walmart brand) in a situation where I want to clean out inaccessible areas somewhat. I do so by removing the engine oil, changing the filter, pouring in a gallon of tranny fluid instead of motor oil and then manually running the oil pump with a drill motor. I do this until I build pressure in the galleys and then rotate the engine slowly so that all the bearing and passages get a good drink. This is a handy time to have a friend run the drill while you turn the crank by hand. I let it sit like that overnight and do the same thing over and over for several days while I work on other details. No rush. Let the tranny fluid dissolve some of the old oil deposits and swell the seals. Drain it when you are done and then open the engine as far as you can and manually clean and flush as you can. On the 240K miles EA82 I refreshed recently (did not split the case) I disassembled just up to the point of pulling the pistons. I then flushed the case internals with mineral spirits, brake clean, carb cleaner, etc. I soaked the loose lifters in tranny fluid after they were out. I used a drill press while the lifters were down inside a soup can and slowly forced the old oil out and the tranny fluid in. I let them sit like that over night and did that routine 3 more times over several days. Quite a bit of junk came out as they bled down. I installed them while still filled with tranny fluid and to this day have not heard a single lifter tap ever. 

• Like 1