Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 - need picture of timing cover please

We seem to have lost the timing cover in our shop which is full of recycled/remanufactured parts.

We could use a picture to help the guys on the shop floor identify it.

I've included a picture of the shortblock, ready to have the timing cover and heads installed.

Thanks!

ShortBlock Small.png

Oh, was the Kennedy adapter plate the only piece here then, doing away with the Subaru bellhousing?

I am trying to think of the OD of the rear main oil seal as that should also help you zero in on the right bellhousing

Aha, I was thinking 92mm, just looked up rear crank seal on ebay OD is 93mm and factory bellhousing is a straight through bore, no inner ledge to stop the seal being pushed in too far.

Factory BH should also have two studs either side of the bottom holes to transmission - not taking into account your Kennedy adapter plate. M10 about 70mm long

Oh, Torpedo, while I think of it, watching the vid where he is turning it over to prime the oil galleries. I have found some builds do not like to suck oil up the pick up, so when ready, oil filter off, the port NOT in the middle of the spin on thread - I shove a clear PVC hose in it with a funnel and pour oil in and it should flow down to the pick up. Also fill filter before spin on also helps.

Found it!  Pics attached.  I confirmed with KEP that this adapter plate *replaces* the factory timing cover.

On 8/13/2022 at 11:23 PM, Steptoe's photos said:

I feel sorry for these EA81 pushing a microbus around but a 5 speed has to be it's reward :)

1985 Subaru DL = 1808 GVWR; 1964 VW BUs = 2470 GVWR; I'm certain it doesn't love the extra 662 lbs

On 8/13/2022 at 11:34 PM, Steptoe's photos said:

Oh, Torpedo, while I think of it, watching the vid where he is turning it over to prime the oil galleries. I have found some builds do not like to suck oil up the pick up, so when ready, oil filter off, the port NOT in the middle of the spin on thread - I shove a clear PVC hose in it with a funnel and pour oil in and it should flow down to the pick up. Also fill filter before spin on also helps.

Thanks for the ProTip.  I'm also using lots of assembly lube throughout.

Housing_1.small.jpg

Edited by torpedo51
  • Like 1