Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82's, what can go wrong?

i've heard that EA-82's can have problems but the people raging on them never tell me what thoes problems are and i was wondering if any one here could fill me in on these "problems"? i dont think there are any but i just want to be shure that mine wont die on me any time soon. i love my '88 hatch.

If it overheats, it will causes damage to heads and head gaskets.

Then you will loose coolant and compression.

EA82 is not a very good engine. I had an original which died at 175,000 miles (was running on 3 cyls), replaced it with another EA82 which has 110K miles but ticks like a sewing machine - I nicknamed it Zinger. And it's leaking oil badly. All this talk about Subaru longevity is overrated, it is not any more long-lasting than any other car, foreign or domestic.

I won't ever buy a EA82 car... Legacy, instead.

Does not really matter what engine it is. It's an internal combustion engine and just like all combustion engines you drive it till it blows up. Love it, rage it and when it breaks you fix it. Take good care of it and it takes good care of you. They all blow up they all run well when properly maintained and anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something !_!

Hitachi carbs like to crap out after afew years and make the car run aweful. There are some good ones out there, but mine never got me much better than 25 MPG. (get low 30's highway with a weber)

Head gaskets like to blow (or even heads will crack) if you overheat the engine badly enough. Watch the gauge and you will be fine though.

Lifters love to tick.. sometimes a new oil pump works sometimes you have to swap the lifters.

Oil leaks... ya they leak, but every 60K service do ALL the oil seals and it shouldnt be a problem. My car only leaves 1 puddle and its PS fluid, NOT motor oil.

The water pumps sometimes have a short life... get a good perault or subaru one and they last longer though.

For some reason people seem to have problems with timing belts breaking... sure ive broken 2 sets in my car over the last 7 years but I drive my car hard and rack up alot of miles. Change em every 60K with genuine subaru belts and you should be fine. I have goodyear belts in mine right now so I am gonna swap em after 55K... 2 changes later that would put me right on 400K :grin:

They are good engines, juut take care of em. My two 1988 projects cars had 226K and 266K each and all I had to do was take em apart, reseal em (including head gaskets) and put em back together and they ran wonderfully. Good compression and no leaks.

Basic stuff like any other engine... timing belts, ignition stuff, the usual. They like to drip oil. Just keep an eye on the oil level. And don't let it overheat, you'll warp the heads, as mentioned above. Other than that, they're pretty well unstoppable.

181075 and still running like a champ.

At the end of the day the subaru motor is just that.But if you look after it with regular oil and filter changes the subaru motors do last along time and are internationaly known for there reliability and long lasting qualities.But every now and then you get a dud and this happens with subaru as any other manufacturer. The ea82 is generaly a good reliable motor and if you do the requiered mantainance it will go for a long,long time.

i've heard that EA-82's can have problems but the people raging on them never tell me what thoes problems are and i was wondering if any one here could fill me in on these "problems"? i dont think there are any but i just want to be shure that mine wont die on me any time soon. i love my '88 hatch.