Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad Rod Bearing, Heads Any Good?

It's not magic.  Deforming a big chunk of metal takes a combination of time, force, and heat.  You didn't hit it, didn't overheat it, and there wasn't much time.

And yeah, I know "they" say that, but (and I'm the first to admit how limited my experience is) I usually go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  If you can't prove that it's out of flat, why start milling?  Subaru's  book of words tells you what the flatness requirement is.  So I get out my machinist's rule and feeler gauges, and if it meets spec it doesn't go out for a shave and a haircut.

Edited by jonathan909

20 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

If the cam journals aren't spanked from this many engine failures, and assuming they were resurfaced the first time they should be fine to just run through the parts washer and bolt up to a new block without any surfacing. Not enough miles or enough heat cycles to leave any significant fire ring damage, etc.

GD

Okay. Thank you.

It stopped putting power out to the wheels despite the engine reving so I suspect something worse has happened...then the red oil light and it turned itself off.  We will see. Mother Subaru has not responded yet and the dealership is still "finding room to do the tear down". One more failed engine and it should fall under Lemon Law.

Edited by Daskuppler

On 8/28/2022 at 9:10 PM, jonathan909 said:

It's not magic.  Deforming a big chunk of metal takes a combination of time, force, and heat.  You didn't hit it, didn't overheat it, and there wasn't much time.

And yeah, I know "they" say that, but (and I'm the first to admit how limited my experience is) I usually go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  If you can't prove that it's out of flat, why start milling?  Subaru's  book of words tells you what the flatness requirement is.  So I get out my machinist's rule and feeler gauges, and if it meets spec it doesn't go out for a shave and a haircut.

That makes sense. When I did the heads on my 02.impreza a few years ago, I learned the hard way to have them checked. Ended up blowing the head gasket in about 15k. This time it's not my rodeo though haha

3 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

maybe an axle is not fully seated?

No idea. I would lean more towards broken output shaft/crank shaft based on the amount of metal in the oil. Should have an answer in 6 weeks if their track record holds true.  Whatever it is, it's warranty so that's at least a bonus...

• 4 weeks later...