Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Throwout bearing springs

I'm in the process of putting a new clutch kit in the EA82 right now and noticed 1 of the springs that hold the throwout bearing to the clutch fork is gone. Are there replacement options out there or would I have to fashion one up with a paper clip?

Worse case you copy the other one as best as you can with the same gauge wire. But I’d search hard or ask folks if they have an extra one in their stash. 

I’ve been through my miscellaneous nuts n bolts boxes and none of those stand out in my mind. I’m sure I’m my 80’s period I had several. 

Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Espey16 said:

I'm in the process of putting a new clutch kit in the EA82 right now and noticed 1 of the springs that hold the throwout bearing to the clutch fork is gone. Are there replacement options out there or would I have to fashion one up with a paper clip?

I get them from the dealer. They’re the same part as a legacy Imprezas BRZ or Crosstek so subaru will have them in stock. I work on XTs 10x more than other EA82 models but they’re also EA82 and should be the same.  I have an EA82 in an XT in my driveway now ive installed new clips from Subaru in it  

One time someone here said they’re just to help assembly and not strictly necessary?!?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Espey16 said:

I have a spare 5 speed D/R that I robbed one off of, I'd just like to find another or a pair if there's some lurking around somewhere. Dealer is a good point, I didn't think of that. 

Yeah rob them off of basically any MT Subaru you find in a yard or laying anywhere if you want used ones. I’ve got them laying around but I’d never be able to go find one at will lol. 

10 hours ago, moosens said:

Same spring , same gauge ? From the 1800 through the 2.5 ? That’s a long run. 

Yep. Pretty good. It’s only function is to properly locate the TOB to the fork and vice versa, it doesn’t need to be overkill. So why change something that’s working well? 

Cheers 

Bennie